Tell me it's just Rad inflammation

Tom has been doing quite a bit of heavy coughing this past week. I am hoping it is just the inflammation from the radiation or that the radiation is still doing it's thing. His scan is on Sunday with results on Monday at 11:15 a.m.

Somebody please tell me not to freak out and that it's just inflammation. PLEEEASE!!!!

Denise

Denise,

No freaking out allowed. I would however inform the doctor so that they can decide what should be done about the cough. He might want to prescribe a cough surpressant. If it is inflammation, he may also need to be on prednisone. Usually pneumonitis causes a dry hacking cough. That is coming from experience with my husband. Sure hope he's feeling better , Denise. Lots of prayers for good scans.

Hugs,

Sue

Denise-

First of all, calm down and call the doc and see what he has to say. I personally know nothing about radiation so can't help you on that.

HOWEVER, remember when you and I both had that virus?? They put me on antibiotics and never would give me a second round even though I told them I have a ton of drainage and am coughing A LOT. I was told that 85% of all chemo patients at some time experience increased drainage and coughing problems because, in essence, chemo pisses off your mucous membranes. Isn't that nice??? Is Tom having a lot of drainage??? I am taking Mucinex only and I have to tell you, I put my cat to shame the other day - she could never hack up a hairball the size of the mucous ball I hacked up. Aren't you glad I shared that with you???? LOL And now I feel better!!! Yeah!!! So before you panic, CALL THE DOCTOR!!!!!

Good luck with the scans - I know he will rock them!!!! Hes a trooper!!!

Let us know -

Hugs Patti

OH GOD!!! Patti you are too much!! Thanks for the visuals!! :lol::lol:

Yes he does have a lot of drainage. He does still have some cough syrup left that he has been taking a night which helps him sleep. He won't take it during the day because the codeine in it makes him groggy.

I'll call the doc.

Denise

With pneumonitis also comes SOB & coughing most of the time. I had it many moons ago and I got it 3 months after I completed my radiation treatments.

You might want to give the doc's office a heads up on this one ASAP. Can't hurt to call and keep them informed. Let them determine if it's worth a ride to the doc's office. :wink:

Hey Denise,

Just wanted to apologize for posting and running away. It seems you have gotten good advice in the meantime. You asked if there was more than the cough.... SOB is the next sympton and it can come on rapidly and be very severe. If it is caught in time , prednisone can be a big help. Usually, it takes a CT scan to confirm what it is. Mike's CT showed, what the doc called, a ground glass opacity because that is what it resembled on the scan... due to the reflection from the inflammation. Caught early it is treatable. Gosh I don''t like to play doctor here , but then again I have always been thankful for suggestions from members of this group when I was in search of answers... My prayers are on the way for you and Tom... hope he is feeling better real soon.

Hugs,

Sue

Denise,

Yes, please do not freak out. Bill was there with the coughing thing.

When Bill first began concurrent radiation/with chemotherapy 3 + years ago, he developed pneumonitis, and with it, a cough.

The pulmonologist wanted to put Bill on prednisone, but changed his mind.

It was a dry, persistent cough. Although, he did spit up with it a few times. The pulmonologist prescribed a cough medicine with a drug, but Bill said it made him loopy.

He took an OTC cough med at the time, and it worked. It was Mucinex (sp?). Told the pulmonary doc and his said that he was surprised that it worked.

He hasn't had the cough since, even though he does still have evidence of scar tissue and the like from radiation. All turned out well.

Hope the same for Tom.

Barbara

It sounds like radiation inflammation (pneumonitis) to me. I still have it a year after my ck treatment of a very large tumor. I take prednisone for it and may have to take it indefinitely at 15 mg or so.

I was on 15 mg just before I had to go to the hospital last June. They treated me for pneumonia that included a return to high dose prednisone.I tried to taper off to fast when i got out of the hospital last June and had to go on high dose again and taper down more slowly. The inflammation flared up by coming off the prednisone too fast. There are side effects with prednisone so the quicker you can wean yourself from it the better.

Don M

My mom had something similar after radiation, a really bad cough. It was radiation pneumotis (i am sure I did not spell that right). I just called her and she said some was given something called liquid pearl and it helped a lot.

Andrea,

It's called Tessalon Perles. Here is a link to some info. on it:

http://www.medicinenet.com/benzonatate/article.htm

The perles didn't seem to work for Charlie. He was finally given a small dose of morphine (in a pill form)--it really helped suppress the cough. He wasn't on it very long--a few days--and it calmed things down for him. He didn't have any problem with it after that.