Trying to do too much

Mom's been doing better than a week ago but we're experiencing some new things, or at least she's discussing new things with me. She keeps saying her bones hurt, at first this sounded strange to me and I thought she may have been semi dilusional, I researched it and it seems this is all very common. The only thing I didn't seem to find were any suggestions on how to make the bones feel less in pain? Any suggestions? Also, she's stopped smoking, thank god, but she's also been told she should cut back on soda. She used to smoke 1-2 packs of cigarettes a day and drank 2-4 pepsi's a day plus 2-4 cups of coffee. Today was her first day on the second step down of nicotine patches, it was also her first day with only half a pepsi, she has a horrible headache. We've tried tylenol which is what her doctor recommended, but she's still in so much pain. I've tried giving her an ice pack, a heat pack, she won't relax in the bath, I'm just not sure what else to do? I've made her some tea which I figure has caffeine, any one else have any issues like this, is it just the radiation and cancer or should we be allowing her to drink more caffeine? I get the feeling she's being asked to do soooo much right now, most people couldn't endure stopping smoking and drinking soda at one time much less adding radiation and cancer to the mix.

Hi Haley. Just my opinion but I wouldn't worry too much about the caffeine. Just make sure she is getting plenty enough of other liquids as well. The most important thing to do while on chemo is drink lots of liquids. Quitting smoking is enough for heavens sakes. Bone pain and aches can be very common. Pain medication does help some. Ask the doc what she can take. Hang in there and keep looking out for your mom.

Sandra

Haley-

Cutting out caffeine can give you some monster headaches!!! So you might want her to go easy on that and slowly cut back.

She seems to have a lot on her plate just quitting smoking so please tell her to go slow with all the withdrawals. Don't want her to get frustrated and go back to them.

As far as the aches and pains, that goes with the teritory unfortunately. Is she doing chemo, too or just radiation???

Wishing her and you well - please keep us posted.

Hugs - PAtti B.

I totally agree with Patti B's post, every word.

A few years ago I tried to cut out caffeine and found I simply couldn't do it -- horrendous headaches that nothing would touch. I was finally able to stabilize at just one (rather strong) cup of coffee first thing in the morning. That's what I was "on" during my 2006 and 2007 chermos, then increasing heartburn/acid reflux motivated me to eliminate possible heartburn triggers, so in January this year I decided to make an attempt to cut out that one cup of coffee. I substituted a large amount of juice and cold water first thing in the morning, and found the only drawback was a sluggish feeling the rest of the day -- no headache! The next morning, just juice and the realization that I needed to ease into the day instead of revving up with a blast of caffeine. It didn't stop the heartburn -- I needed to cut out tomatoes, too -- but as an unexpected benefit from zero caffeine, I haven't gotten up with even a minor headache since January!

But your mom's success in cutting out smoking calls for MAXIMUM CONGRATULATIONS. Best wishes and Aloha,

Ned

I agree with the caffeine issue. If she is quitting smoking that alone is adding enough to her plate. Just ease back on the soda and coffee, cut it back gradually and take it slow. It is so important, as was pointed out already, to drink lots of fluids so maybe she can gradually replace the soda with bottled water or gatorade..

There was a member here a while back, and I cannot remember now who it was, but they found that Advil, just regualr over the counter Advil did wonders for bone pain. It might be worth a try.

Please keep us posted...

Hugs,

Christine

I can't tell you how much you guys help when I try to convince her of things :) She says she thinks you're all right, no cold turkey on the caffeine, today she had a pepsi and this evening no headache!!!!! She's also been complaining a lot about a pain at the lower left side of her chest. Her radiologist said it was probably regurge, she's been eating lots of tomato sauces, pizza at 9:30 am, spaghetti, raviolis, etc. So Ned thank you, thank you, thank you, I've been telling her marinara's give me heartburn and I'm not battling half what she is! And hey, we are of the same blood right :) So, she says tomorrow she's eating no red sauce or tomatos to see if we're all right!

Thanks again, I'll keep you all informed. Oh, and a little more good news, only 5 more days of radiation. No chemo plan yet, the doctors are waiting to see the brain tumors defeated first.

She says she thinks you're all right, no cold turkey on the caffeine, today she had a pepsi and this evening no headache!!!!!

That's great! I'll bet she's a much happier camper as a result.

I got the tomatoes tip from our family physician. I told him I was already taking 2 ranitidine tablets a day for acid reflux/heartburn and didn't want to go to the next stronger medication because of possible interference with Tarceva, and he said among his patients the two biggest heartburn triggers are chocolate and tomatoes (cooked as well as raw). I rarely eat chocolate, so that left tomatoes, and unfortunately tomatoes and tomato-based sauces are in many of our family's favorite dishes. We still serve them (nobody else has a problem, and I didn't until I started chemo), but I just go easy on the quantity and eat something bland the next meal. It's simple to control since the cause-effect relationship is so direct and dependable, and no more antacid pills are needed. Hope that fixes it for you guys -- it's been a major relief for me.

Aloha,

Ned