Butterball Daddy

First off, I'd like to start by saying thank you for everyones support on this site. Since I introduced myself, which was not even 24 hours ago, I received abour 15 welcomes and words of hope and support. Thank you all!!

I think I'm going to title all my entires as "Butterball Daddy", so everyone can just easily see who it is and easily just recognize it in the list. OK, so here is one of my updates.... I went to see my dad today after his second round of chemo, day 4. Holy, does the chemo ever kick a human being's butt. This is all so new to me.....:o( He is so skinny, not like in my profile picture at all. I want my "butterball daddy" back!!!

The chemo is leaving him extremely tired with no cravings for any type of food. I bought him some soft serve ice cream (which he used to love!) and he took a couple licks and my mom put the rest in the freezer. I'm guessing this is normal though, right?

So far, the X-rays taken last week (before his second round) were showing great progression with the tumors decreasing in size.

I do have a question though, one problem he is having is that he can't urinate. His bladder feels pressure and the only time he can go is if he immerges himself in hot water and then its released. Sounds like a bladder infection to me. They also put him on anti-biotics for a collapsed lung lobe that was caused by the chemo and said that this will make it inflate again. When I called the hospital help line last night and talked to the night oncall doctor, he said that it could just be a bladde rinfection or a enlarged prostate due o the chemo.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thank you...

Butterball Daddy's Daughter....

Gabby

Hi Gabby,

Not sure if I welcomed you or not, but WELCOME!!!

As for his not eating well, thats normal... but a "trick" that I have seen posted here over and over is to just out out snacky types of food in front of him that he can nibble on through out the day, even if its just a little, its SOMETHING. Some ideas could be, pretzels, grapes, a unopened banana, raisins, and of course.. PLENTY OF WATER... have a glass or a pitcher of it by him all the time.

Hope these ideas help

Shelli

Hi Gabby. I can't help with the urinating issues sorry. Sounds like it really needs to be looked after though. He needs medical attention right away.

I am always told that if you can't eat while on chemo so be it. The most important thing is to drink drink drink...tons of water and other liquids. That will help get through it easier. I hope things start to get better for your daddy soon. Results are awesome so far so continued prayers for that.

Sandra

Lots of water because dehydration is a trip to the ER for fluids and we hate to see that (Just a Hassle for not drinking water Ya know)

Keep food available 24/7 no more eating ona schedule like breakfast at 8 lunch at noon and dinner at 6 Eat whenever Hungry.

Eat what ever favorite food is and wants!

Keep ensure and/ or Boost on hand. Liquids are easier going down than food sometimes!!

ALso If i did not then welcome to the boards here lots of compassion knowledge adn support in the good and the bad(Prayers that that is not the case though Ya know what I mean!!)

Hi, Gabby:

Okay, first things first. I know you called and spoke to the on-call doctor at the hospital about the urinary difficulties, and I guess the prostate being enlarged due to chemo could be a cause (though my already enlarged prostate didn't get any bigger with chemo), but I didn't like his statement that it could be "just" a bladder infection. Chemo adversely impacts the body's immune system, and while on chemo there's no such thing as "just" an infection. Please call the onc's office and tell them directly. An infection of any type while on chemo can get out of control and, among other things, require the chemo and/or radiation to be interrupted while the infection is being treated.

After that's resolved, you might take a look at this rather lengthy post I wrote to someone last summer about their parent's eating difficulties:

http://lungevity.org/l_community/viewto ... 878#316878

It would be a good idea to put a summary of your dad's diagnosis, treatment, and response to treatment in your profile or "signature" area, where you have the quote about "nobody can go back..." That will attach to every message you send and help us give you better answers without doing a search for your previous posts.

Aloha (sorry, I don't know the Czech word for it),

Ned

Hi Gabby-

Welcome to the boards. Your avitar pic with your dad is so sweet.

You have gotten a lot of good advice about the eating issues - some chemos can make food taste terrible and if he has mouth sores from the chemo, who wants to eat. But the liquids is a huge MUST. Water, water, water. Try boost, Ensure, milkshakes - anything that tastes OK and has some liquid to it.

As far as the urinary problems go, I agree with Ned. People are chemo have compromised immune systems and any infection can be a problem. I would definitely call your regular doc or your onc and see if they can see him and try to determine whats going on.

Good luck, congrats on the tumor shrinkage and tell dad to keep kickin' that cancer butt!!!

Hugs - Patti B.

Just in case everyone hasn't clued in yet...Christie_Danielle is my niece and "Butterball Daddys" (George's) granddaughter. :o) She saw me on this forum and really wanted to join as well because she saw all the support on here. Welcome Christie!!!

"christie_danielle" I bought my grandpa some Boost (the high-calorie type)... I hope he drinks that and enjoys it, then we can just keep the fridge stocked with Boost/Ensure.

Terrific! When I was having my most serious eating difficulties (on Taxol/Carbo) I had to drink three of the 350-calorie cans/bottles of Ensure, Boost, or the Wal-Mart clone plus whatever food I could tolerate just to maintain weight. Because of various changes in the body, someone with cancer usually requires MORE calories to maintain weight than they needed before cancer. If the Boost starts to get a little tiresome, try Carnation Instant Breakfast. There are several flavors available, some VERY tasty -- they're packets of powder which you can mix in a beverage such as whole milk, 2% milk, soy milk, a vanilla milkshake, whatever sounds good.

Thanks for the chronological profile. And let us know about the bladder issue when you have a chance.

Aloha,

Ned

Hi everyone! So after four sleepless nights with my dad's so-called bladder infection that the nurses and on-call doctors said he had, we took him to our general practitioner (family doctor) and she took a urine sample. It turns out he's DEHYDRATED!!!!!!! Can you believe that??!! That dehydration causes so much discomfort and the symptoms of an enlarged prostate and bladder infection?

He has been drinking a ton of water but I'm guessing maybe not enough! They're still going to double check on the enlarged prostate but from the results of the urine sample, it shows dehydration.

Thanks for all your support once again everyone, you really all are helpful.

xoxoxoxoxo

Gabby

It seems that some people on chemo have a tendency to get dehydrated even if they drink what they think is a huge quantity of water. So it's not uncommon for these folks to need a trip or two to the ER or their oncology clinic to get rehydrated by IV. I don't seem to have that tendency, so I can't give you any first-hand "how it feels" tips. Maybe others can, or maybe it's very unpredictable.

Glad you're on to something, but it might not be as simple as just drinking more water. Aloha,

Ned

Glad you got an answer to the problem. My Dad also had problems with keeping hydrated... he was never much of a water drinker even before he was sick, so trying to get him to drink it after was alot of work. I hope you find a way that works to get your Dad to stay hydrated.

Shelli

Hi all!!!

That was a long night. It's 3:12am! I took NED's advice and got on the phone and called a nurse at the Cancer Agency where my dad is registered. I told her that everyone is giving us the run around and that a simple "He's Dehyrated" just won't do anymore because he is in pain and it's been a week and nothing has changed. My mom dragged him down to the hospital where they ran a series of tests, put a decafiter (sp?) in so it could drain his bladder.

Well, tests revealed that he's really low on potassium and sodium because of all the water he's been given, it's diluted everything. THANK GOD we took him!!! They have him on IV pumping him with potassium and sodium in a water mix I guess and draining that bladder.

He's now in there overnight with my mom by his side and in the morning they are going to run more tests to see if his levels are back up there and then they'll release him.

Oy Vey!!!! I hope he can go home tomorrow.....they both need so much well deserved sleep. They both haven't slept in days. She's watching out for him and his bladder wouldn't let him sleep. He even said today that when he gets home, all he wants to do is sleep for 3 days straight.

Thanks for listening and all the advice and support everyone. I'll keep you updated...

Gabby

xoxo

So...Dad went in today to see a Urologist and actually it has nothing to do with the chemo or the cancer. :oS Poor thing, now he has this on his plate. He just has an enlarged prostate and on a cathiter for about a week until the medication they put him on kicks in.

Well, Gabby, looking on the bright side, at least there's no infection. I'm sure they'll be monitoring your dad's potassium and sodium levels and anything else that was out of whack before, since these various ailments and medications can combine in some strange ways. You guys getting any rest yet?

Aloha,

Ned

Good Morning everyone... :o( Well, not too good of a morning. It's 2:00am and I've been tossing and turning and just can't sleep. The more I read on the stuff, the more I worry. :o( Are there any people out there with positive stories or outcomes on SCLC?? I keep reading that in 5 years it comes back and that's it and then there is a 18 month window for survival. :cry: Someone please lift my spirits tonight and tell me that there is hope for my dad that it won't return.

Other than the cancer, he's such a strong healthy man. Sometimes I just lay there at night looking at the ceiling as tears roll down my face. I'm such a positive person normally as everyone may have guessed according to my recent posts, but sometimes my emotions get the best of me, especially when I am alone and start reading, digging and researching.

His next round of chemo is next week on the Wednesday, Thursday and Friday with a follow-up check up appointment on the Tuesday. He had a CT Scan today and I guess they'll be going over it on the Tuesday. So far so good, the tumor is shrinking, but what about in the future?

P.S. I HATE CANCER!! It needs to be squashed like a bug.

P.P.S Sorry for venting and being such a "Debbie Downer." :OS

Hugs ands prayers to you and yours today! I may not havee the right words but do have the right thoughts. Havee you looked through our Good News Forum per chance and also the inspirational forumz?? They might give you that little jolt you are seeking out there right nnnow I hope!! THink positive and live, love and especially Cherish every day. Thats my philosophical advice for today!! :wink::lol::)

(I also know its easier said than done most days, so....)