Cisplatin vs Carboplatin

I was dx 10/2 with extensive stage SCLC - tumor in left lung (9cm x 4 cm), mets to liver. Went through 2 rounds of Cisplatin & VP16. Had 90% shrinkage all over. Before the 3rd round I had a throat problem. Took some Robitussin. This might have caused internal bleeding. Temp from 99 to 102. Blood test showed high BUN and creatinine (2.0). My onc got scared that Cisplatin might be causing kidney failure. Another Doc in the hospital correctly diagnosed it as throat infection and gave me an antibiotic. BUN, creatinine, Temp returned to normal in couple of days.

But my scared onc changed from Cisplatin to Carboplatin. Went through 2 rounds of Carbo & VP16. CAT scan revealed very small reduction in left lung tumor, slight increase in other areas, spread to bone, and a new node in the chest.

I think if we had stuck to Cisplatin and VP16 the tumor could have been cleared by now. Now my onc is thinking of giving me Topotecan.

Anyone had similar type of experience? Any advise, suggestions? Would appreciate responses.

David,

I'm not a doctor.. so I really not sure what to say, but my Mom had cysplatin and altough she got really sick with it, it did get rid of the tumors. Is there anyway the doctor could give you smaller doses of cysplatin over a longer period. Say instead of 6 treatments give you 8 or 9 and just hydrate you with IV's..and monitor you closely? That was one of my Moms options. Wishing you the best.

I will pray for you.

Laurie

Guest hopeful2

I also started with cysplatin and had 2 rounds with the VP16. I had popiteal artery clot after each cycle that had to be resolved in the hospital. My CT after the 2 rounds showed shrinkage from 6 to 1cm. Because of the clot my onc changed me to Carbo with the third round. I finished my 6th round and had a clear scan so it worked for me. I guess there is no clear answer and again, it just shows everyone is different. I do know I have been much less sick on the Carbo than I was on the Cysplatin. Praying everything works out for you.

Cisplatin and Carboplatin are both platinum based agents and are supposed to be similar in there effectiveness. Carboplatin is supposed to have fewer side effects.

They are not exactly the same, obviously, and no one would swear that they would work the same on a given person. Cisplatin has been around a lot longer and has more studies to back it up and it is still the most used agent to treat SCLC, usually in combination with etoposide (VP-16).

• 5 weeks later...