LC and Shoulder pain.

Caren

For around 18 months now my dad has been suffering with some shoulder pain in his left shoulder. I finally got him to speak with the Doctor, around 6 months ago and was prescribed 'Diclofenic' (Anti-inflamitary) to be taken twice a day. These seemed to help for a little while but now they don't seem to work quite so well.

When we first saw the consultant (not the Onc) I mentioned this to him and he said that it would be looked in to.

I then forgot to mention it with our visit to the Onc and so it was left again.

My dad's keyworker came to the house last Wednesday to discuss his Chemo treatments with us and I managed to ask her about it.

She said that she will talk to the Onc and they will order some bone scans to have a look at the left shoulder and collar bone.

What I was wondering is........does anyone else who has LC suffer with shoulder pain, but it's not Mets, or are we possibly going to be in for another shock when he gets the results?

I think that there may be alink between arthritis calcium build up and the cancer but am not positive on this one!! DEb used to have a similar problem and we went to a sports doctor. After doing xrays he discovered that she had a calciium arthritis build up on her left shoulder. Basically bad arthritis. She ahd cortisone injections and they did help!!! Good Luck adn as it is the weekekend you will get some more responses!!!

Thoughts and Prayers!!

Caren-

I have not either heard of anyone with shoulder mets but I do think I remember seeing in several profiles that they originally went to the doc because of shoulder pain.

Hopefully some of those folks will be along shortly. Good luck to you and please keep us posted.

Hugs - Patti B.

I had pain and general soreness in my right shoulderblade area and shoulder way before my diagnosis. As Patti B stated, I have seen enough from others where they had shoulder pain to notice a trend, and identify it as a symptom of lung cancer.

Hope that helps. Glad that they are making sure that there aren't any mets, but its very possible that your dad is suffering from a symptom of what he already has. Good luck!

Guest hearrean

You might try doing a search under Google for LC & Shoulder pain. From what I have read, shoulder pain from LC can be quite common and more often than not can indicate a Pancoast Tumor.

Ken

"hearrean"]You might try doing a search under Google for LC & Shoulder pain. From what I have read, shoulder pain from LC can be quite common and more often than not can indicate a Pancoast Tumor.

Ken

But wouldn't a Pancoast Tumour have shown on his Chest x-ray or C.T, or both?

My shoulder pain is worse than anything the cancer has thrown at me. Mine is AC joint arthritis and it has been injected 3 times - each time helps for a while so I'm going for #4 Thursday. I had ad MRI of my shoulder on top of a plain x-ray to verify that there were no mets in the area, because radiation would be the treatment for that.

Causes of shoulder pain related cancer would be bone mets, pancoast tumor and disease around the left diaphragm, which refers to the left shoulder. That can either be pleural disease or abdominal cavity disease.

I hope someone pays attention to your dad and gets his pain figured out.