Introducing Gootus, wife of SCLC patient

Guest Gootus

Guest Gootus

I am the wife of a perfectly healthy 58 year old Texas man who just happens to have SCLC, extensive in his bones. He was diagnosed mid-July of 2008 and is going for his fourth chemo treatment tomorrow. He is an athlete, fisherman, hunter, golfer, and lover of all people and animals, except snakes. We have 3 very young grandsons, so this news has been very devastating for us and our family.

I am hoping to meet others like us who have beaten the odds and are living a rich life after 2 years of diagnosis. He is such a fighter, quick healer, and has probably not taken more than a handful of pills in his entire lifetime. Although we have chosen conventional treatment, we would like to know what treatments or other things all of the 2+ years SCLC, extensive survivors attribute to their success.

Gootus

Welcome Gootus. I am so sorry about your otherwise healthy husband and your need to be here. Many of us thought ourselves healthy before this craziness and never took a darn pill either. What an adjustment. There are many survivor stories here and tons of support. Please keep us posted on how your husband is doing and take good care.

Sandra

Welcome to the group! I'm approaching the 2-year mark (less than a week to go), but I'm in the NSCLC IIIb category. We do have some longtime SCLC-ED survivors in the group, and some of them should be chiming in shortly. Does your husband have a follow-up CT scan coming up soon? SCLC patients often respond very well to chemo, so let's hope and expect that your husband will be one of them.

Aloha,

Ned

Welcome Gootus,

You have come to a great place. This lung cancer is tricky isn't it - so many of us were healthy and got the diagnosis anyways - doesn't seem to make sense does it?

I have a local friend in MN that is an 8 year survivor of small cell - extensive and a friend that is a 7 year small cell limited. Both have been doing great and plan on many more years ahead of them.

Wendy

So sorry you have to even be here but this site is great and keeps me upbeat. My hubby was also very healthy, never been sick in his 56 years of life and I truely feel that will help him be a long term survivor and I'm psoitive that will be your husbands case as well.... Be sure to check out the "good news" board it's great.