Lung Drainage

Well, here I am again, late at night starting a new post.

Got back from the hospital tonight from being there all day. My dad had 8 of us there today! hahahaah!!! He said that he has the biggest and best support group that a guy could ever ask for.

Here's the scoop....This morning, after his CT scan two days ago (which showed great progression in the decrease of the tumors in his lungs) fluid showed up in his lungs. So, this morning they had to do a bedside procedure on him. He said it hurt like hell, he actually screamed at times they were doing it (no he wasn''t out. They gave him morphine and numbed the area). They put the tube in his lungs and drained out all the fliud. He said when they put the tube in it all just came gushing out. He feels much better right now after it all came out.

Chemo has been postponed by a week or two to allow for his body to heal. His spirits are up again...thank god!

When they wheeled in the hospital food, I looked at it and said "Ummm no, that's NOT gonna do.;o)" My sister and I proceeded to go out to the best burger joint and we got him a gourmet burger, steak-cut fries and a large strawberry milkshake (with whipped cream and mutlicolored sprinkles). :o) Thank god for Daughters hey?? ;o) If that doesn't make him gain weight then I don't know what will. Here's a tip: Did you know ice cream is the quickest way to gain weight? ;o) PERFECT! Milkshakes and Sundaes it is then!! lol!

He's going to be there for a week or so. I also requested that he is in a private room as he is a chemo patient and can't risk having people around that are sick with the flu etc. He's on the Respitory floor of the hospital. So tomorrow, they are moving him to his own private room. My sister and I even paid extra to get a TV and his own private phone with a line right in his room hooked up. Only the best for our Daddy.

Anyone else have a similar experience with the fluid in the lungs?....and if so...how long did it take you to recover towards your next chemo?

Thanks so much....

Gabby

xoxo

THis is usually a result of the chemo!!! nothing unusual here! the procedure is a uncomfortable and a pain in the *&^ but it works great!! Kudos on burgers and fries!! also anything high in fat content is good for weight gain!! Think soups adn ice cream with heavy cream!!

recovery for this procedure varies of course> If my memory is correct then Deb was in ICU for 3 days afterwards and then off to the house!! :wink:

SO relax have fun with Dad Know Ya will!! Probably get more responses after the weekend but no worries this is routine procedure!!!

Thank so much Randy! that made me feel better. It just seems that everytime something is going well, it crashes again. But...when you hear it's a normal thing to happen, it kind of makes you feel much better that it's a routine thing.

Poor mom was crying just because she doesn't know what to expect. Everytime I see her, I always tell her all your responses "Mom, Randy from the forum told me that this is a normal thing and his wife had it too." her face lights up with hope that it's not just him with some severe complications.

Thanks again Randy!!

Gabby

xoxo

Gabinka tell mom that dad will breathe better and feel less apin in chest area now! Now they will biopsy the results of the fluid and give you results so.... I was told that her results were positive for cancer CELLS!! when you have cells it is not a big problem so.. But when the cells get together and form tumours then you have problem!!

This conditionis called a pleural effusion if it happens around the heart it is a pericardial Effusioin!! That feels like a heart attack happening and ya have to get to ER POST HASTE!!!

Hi Gabby. Sorry your dad was in a bit of pain during the procedure but great that he is feeling well. I think it will only be a matter of days to recover from that. I recovered quickly from that but then went on to more invasive procedures so spent about a week in hospital. But he might as well recover in style with the private room etc that you have arranged. Yeah for the burger and fries!! And it is a long weekend for heavens sakes. Hospital food sucks big time!

He will have to be careful showering for a bit though and keep the incision covered. Be sure to ask the nurses for a big roll of tape for that before you leave. And if he is on any pain medication at all please watch out for constipation. Stock up wtih Senokot and stool softener. Constipation can be very bad and painful and is to be avoided at all costs.

Thinking of you and your daddy

Sandra

ps my fluid build up has never come back even though they were quite worried it would

Gee, Gabby, I'm not only sorry your dad had a bad experience with the draining but also puzzled. Maybe he had something entirely different from the procedure I had, which is called a "thoracentesis" or "pleural tap." Really, the only thing I felt was when the local anesthetic was injected, and that was similar to getting a shot of lidocaine at the dentist's office. Mine was done in the imaging department of the hospital, and they had an ultrasound monitor to help the radiologist guide the needle and give me something to watch.

If you feel up to it, here's a thoracentesis video I found on YouTube:

Best wishes and Aloha,

Ned

I'm glad that your Dad is breathing easier. Way to go daughters for taking such good care of him! :) I hope he ate the yummy food too!

I too was confused like NED. My Mom had two thoracentesis done and they were done in the back as an outpatient. Sshe also had a chest tube which was put in the side between ribs. That made a "pop" and then fluid came out quickly. Then she had the pleurodesis done which was very painful.

Gabby,

I am glad that they got the fluid removed and he is doing a bit better...

I am also confused by the pain he experienced. My mother had that done about 3 times.(she has/had lung problems). But what took me aback, was the part about having to pay extra for a TV and a phone.... how strange.. I can maybe understand paying more for the private room, but having to for things that should just be standard is just weird.

Well I am glad that you did though, cause it can get pretty boring pretty quick in the hospital with out a tv.

Shelli