I need support

Linda74

Hello, my name is Linda. We just found out that my husband has lesions on his lungs and swollen lymph nodes from an X-Ray taken. This was done in the emergency room. he was experiencng major back and side pain for about a month..I brought him in thinking he was having a heart attack (he has coronary artery disease) .Dr. was treating him for Sciatica. He had developed an asthma like cough.....Our daughter is getting married in a month, and I guess we were in denial. Anyway, tomorrow we go to see a Pulmonologist in Bridgeport, Connecticut. We don't have all of the results but in my heart knowing this wonderful man the way I do, something is not right. I called our HMO hoping to hear that is the wost comes to fruition we can go to Sloane Kettering but they are not in the network. I could try to get a referral.....I feel so lost. He is suffering so much , not eating, and not sleeping. We did get a script for Percocet which helps a little but in this time of limbo, I really feel I need guidance. Our daughter and daugherin law have scoured the internet and found this site. I was spending my time on the travel forums.....some jump. Anyway, I do know that the best information will come from those of you out there. Jim would never write on a board, so I will have to do it for him.

Welcome ! I am glad you found us. This is a very scarry time, I know. I wonder where in your husbands lung the lesion was found. I went to the doctor for pain problems also and they found a tumor a little bigger than a golf ball under my collor bone , shoulder area. You can read about my journey by clicking on the link below.

From what you said you have not had a biopsy or many of the tests we have had to go through . Please keep us posted on how you folks are getting through all the tests and physician appointments. Best Wishes.

Donna G

Linda

We all understand how scared - and lost you are feeling right now, we have been there. When you go to the Dr. tomorrow - be sure to take notes. He will be throwing lots of info at you and it is very easy to get confused or to forget what was said. Do not hesitate to ask all the questions you have - there are no stupid questions. Ask him for something else besides the percocet - maybe a sleep aide or anti depressant. Something to help your husband sleep - because his mind is probably racing.

I am a true believer in more than one opinion. I go to Yale - is that in your plan? My doctor at Yale agreed with the doctor at Sloan about my treatment plan. (They both disagreed with my first Doctor) If there was still a question I would have gone up to Dana Farber

Please keep us posted as to what happens tomorrow -

I am so glad you found this site -

Prayers to you

Janet

Welcome Linda. Of course you need support and you have come to the right place. We are all hoping this isn't lung cancer but if it is folks are here for you and eager to help. The beginning is so scary and although it may end up being horrible news, things do start to get better once you know what the action plan is. Please keep us posted on what you find out and how your husband is feeling. And post any question you would like, or just vent, that is what this site is here for. Many here will be eager to help. Take care

Sandra

Welcome Linda..

You have found a great place to be for advice and support. The people you meet will surely be able to answer any questions you may have, and if they dont have an answer, then they will for sure know someone who does. We are all here for each other and if you need a place to express your feelings or vent.. we will be here!

Shelli

Hi, Linda:

As Janet said, be sure to take detailed notes when you visit the pulmonologist tomorrow. In fact, it would be a good idea to supplement that with a small voice recorder. I've never heard of a doctor objecting -- they realize (or should realize) that the terminology is new to you and easily misunderstood. Also ask for a copy of all written reports, such as the radiologist's review of the CT scan, as well as CDs of the scans. Usually it's just a matter of asking. I have copies of my reports going back 2 years, and every time I look at them I notice something that had passed me by before.

We'll be looking for your update. Best wishes and Aloha,

Ned

Hello Linda and welcome to the family

I am so sorry you had reason to be here but glad you have joined us. You came to the very best place for support as I am sure you can see by the responses you've gotten!

It's been mentioned already about taking notes and having copies of all tests, scans, blood work etc. I just want to underscore that point. Don't be afraid to ask questions and if you are not clear, ask the doctor to explain it in terms that make sense to you. We are not all "rocket scientists" and it is perfectly fine to ask for simpler terms. This is such an overwhelming time for you and your husband.

Pick up a small notebook or an organizer to keep track of appointments, medications, tests, etc but also to write down any and all questions you think of between now and the appointment. Also do not be afraid to ask us anything here. This is such a warm and caring group of people!

Keep us posted and know that we are here for you,

Warmly

Christine

While as you have all said, this is the last board I would have ever sought out, I can see already the kind of people you are. My daughter in law who is an RN will come with us tomorrow. She will write everything down and has already constructed a list of questions. As I posted, our daughter is getting married Oct. 10. I pray that Jim can walk her down the aisle because they have spoken of it since she was little. Needless to say our hearts aren't in the wedding mode at this point, but he would not have it cancelled and it is over 200 people many of whom are travelling great distances.

I thank you from the bottom of my heart of the warm greeting and genuine compassion evident already here. I know this will be the best support for us. Anti-depressants are a good idea. He is a very active guy, loves to exercise, ski etc. He hasn't done a thing in a month due to the back pain and now is spending too much time in bed "cocooning" I suspect. Jim is very quiet and suffers inside. I know tht whatever I am going through is trivial in regards to what he is experiencing. I also need to get something to alleviate the cough and mucus. I think that is a small part of why he won't eat. He is a skinny guy and must have already lost 10 pounds this month. I did get him to drink a glass of Ensure but that was tough. Anyway, thank you from the bottom of my heart for taking the time to reach out to a newbie. I just keep thinking how one's life changes in an instant. Every minute is a blessing.

Linda

The Ensure is a great idea as well as Boost, etc. Calories are key. The nutritionist we saw for my step dad had some excellent ideas for boositing the caloric intake. Simple things like cream soups made with heavy cream instead of just milk, adding extra butter to mashed potatoes and using heavy cream there,too as well as adding shredded cheese. Make milkshakes with the Ensure or Boost, add an envelope of Carnation Instant Breakfast to the milkshakes. There are so many things that can be added. The important factor is to make sure he is drinking plenty of water.. LOTS OF WATER.. AND MORE WATER! Dehydration is not fun, it is very painful and can be dangerous.

I am so glad that you have your daughter in law to help you out. That will be such a blessing for you! And as far as the wedding? Use that as a positive event to focus on. A goal of sorts. It might be just the ticket to get Jim focused on something other than the pain once the doctors can get him on the right meds to get that in control.

Keep posting!!!!

Hugs

Chris

Linda

Welcome to the board. I am fairly new here myself and you won't find a better class of people. They have made me feel very welcome. I am praying that your family gets some answers. I also took a mini tape recorder with me when I went. My husband went with me but for some unknown reason we each heard things different that what was really said. Plus, sometimes just hearing the doctors voice is reasuring.

I will be praying for you

Sarah

Hi Linda

Welcome to a great site. Members here have alot of knowledge and experience and are more than happy to answer your questions. You will find everyone here very supportive.

I understand your daughter wanting her Dad to walk her down the aisle in October. I was diagnosed last September and had a lobectomy. My oldest daughter got married this June and I was there to walk her down the aisle. I'm sure Jim will have that same great privilege in October.

Linda~

As a 'caregiver" I salute you! As do I to all the caregivers out there. Your DIL is also a blessing. Many ears make accurate listening. I will repeat lab values ect. and my husband will (very politely) correct me. My profile is all I swear to when it comes to numbers, he does it:) My thoughts?Move toward an accurate diagnosis, next step treatment plan, next step...The Wedding. Were here all hours of the day and night due to different time zones.

Yes it's a crummy place to have to find, but in it's ugliness is the support and knowledge we want to share with you. Keep us posted. Mary