Sign in to follow this  
KatieB

I can't believe it's been 5 years

Five years ago this week I lost my dad. And six years ago a month from now- Rick and I created a website called lchelp in his honor- I wonder sometimes, where did the time go?

In those five years without my dad so many things have changed and so many things have happened in my life...

I DO wonder what my life would be like today if lung cancer had never touched us.....My dad would still be alive and with me....would I be happy in my career in the legal field? would we have adopted our daughter? would my mom still have had high blood pressure and suddenly passed away of a stroke? so many things I can wonder about....

What I do know is that his death hasn't been in vain....I've tried every day of the last five years to make his death count for something with this website, my advocacy and work to support cancer patients. I hope he knows that somehow...I hope he can see me, see US and that he has met the friends that I have lost here....I hope he is happy and whole and healed and he is smiling and standing beside my mom.

I hope they can see me. I hope.

I am hoping and praying along with you Katie. You have done so much in 5 years and I thank you for this site and for all of your much needed advocacy work. I am sure your mom and dad are smiling down proudly at you and cheering you on. You and your husband have so much to be proud of and are quite simply amazing.

With admiration

Sandra

Katie, I always say look strasight up and you can see your loved ones looking straight down on you smiling and laughing!! Hugs and prayers! and a big thnak you! He knows and is oh so proud of you!!!!!!

(((((((((((((((((((((((((Katie And Rick and the kids)))))))))))))))))))))

Katie,

They know.. They see.. They are so very, very proud!

Much love and many, many thanks to you and Rick and your wonderful children for sharing yourselves with us and for making this web site possible. It is through YOUR hopes and dreams that many of us have been able to find our own hopes and dreams, also born of our losses. It takes a special kind of person to give of themselves the way you and Rick do. I, for one, and forever grateful for the influence you have been in my life.

Love

Christine

Katie,

Know that I am thinking of you at this difficult time. I remember first coming to the board after I had lost my Dad to lung cancer almost five years ago. (Oct. 14th). I remember relating to you (being Daddy's girl and heartbroken over losing him) and how much comfort you brought me reading your posts. I understand how you feel and from my own experience I know I miss my Dad as much today as I did five years ago when I lost him. You are in my thoughts and prayers.

Fondly,

Jean

Katie I hope you are able to get through this milestone as gently as possible. You've experienced incredible loss and your parents LIVES were not in vain.

They created you. You are one of the most self-less souls to bless this world. Your parents are to be celebrated, in life and in death. Whatever they accomplished in addition to raising a wonderful daughter was just a bonus to the people who surrounded their lives.

Life happens and if circumstances would have enabled you to live in a cancer free world, you probably wouldn't have expended your passion on lung cancer advocacy. However, your compassionate drive would have found another worthy cause to support, like water finds low ground. We are just fortunate your energy flow stopped here. You're an incredible advocate.

You've paid a tremendous price Katie, I'm sorry. You deserve all the accolades and rewards for a life well lead. Now your children are the ones to reap the benefit of great parents and on that note, beautiful Kennedy would have found her way to you somehow. :D

((((Katie))))

Sending hugs...not sure what to say, except I believe they see you. You can bet that we all see you and all you have done for so many others.

Thinking of you and "thank you."

Katie--I think he does see and is very proud of what you have accomplished. I know those of us who have come to rely on the LCSC family for support and information owe you and Rick far more than we can ever repay.

Susan

Katie-5 years seems so long.....I feel like I haven't seen my Mom in years and it's not even 3 months yet.

If it wasn't for this web-site myself and thousands of others would not have had any place to turn for hope and comfort. You and your husband have helped so many people.

Hoping you get through this 5 year mark gently.

Take Care of yourself

Dar

Katie,

Five years......some days it feels like it was forever ago, and other days, it is like it was just yesterday. I am right there with you.

I am so grateful that you did what you did. Had I not had your support and that of so many others, I don't know what I would have done. You gave me strength, you gave me courage, you gave me a place to come to that was SAFE. Thank you.

You know I have you in my prayers every 6th. We share the day and you are never forgotten and never will be.

All my love,

Shirley

Dearest Katie,

I also believe your parents not only know and see, but help guide your way. You have taught us all so much by your example and helped ease a very difficult journey for thousands of people. Many thanks for all you do.

My prayers are with you.

Hugs,

Barb

Katie,

I'm sorry it was losing your dad that prompted you to start this organization and website, but you should be very proud of what you put together here. Just look at all the people you touch everyday. Even those of us who don't often post benefit from reading the experiences of others and knowing we are not alone in our feelings. You do a tremendous service and I know your parents must know it, too, and are so proud of you.

Thank you for all you do for all of us.

Hugs,

Tk

Katie,

I also believe they see you. I know it's hard to believe it is 5 years. I feel the same about my Mom. It was 5 years July 18th. My thoughts are with you. You have done amazing things and I know both your parents are vey proud.

Donna

Katie,

No doubt about it.... You've made your Mom & Dad so very proud. And we are all so grateful to you and Rick for creating this wonderful site that has helped each one of us in so many ways. Ellie

It is hard to imagine where any of us would have been had it not been for cancer. They say everything happens for a reason. I really believe that is true even though I know how much pain we have all had to endure.

Your parents raised a wonderful caring daughter and that daughter has not only made them proud but she has touched thoulsand of lives. What you have done Katie is take the worse possible time of your life and give it meaning not only for you but so many other people. May God Bless you for that every day.