Sister has NSCLC need some answers

Teardrop

I would like to tell all of you, I don't have some answers about my sister Lung cancer. The reason is I'm given very little information. I know she has NSCLC, and it's in the right lung wrapped around it and collaspe she has diabetes. She had some in her brains but, he took a CT Scan and see no more, and he thinks it's in her bone, not positive . The doctor says Stage 2, I don't know what that means. He said it's not terminal. She is taking the 4th Chemo, and I would like to know if someone here on this site has what she has, and will she be given radiation? The Dr said no Surgery, has anyone have the cancer in them and are living fine without Surgery and the cancer not taken out, Love Teardrop

God Bless All

Hi teardrop. So sorry about your sister and your need to be here. The information you have received seems a bit confusing and from what you have said Stage 2 doesn't seem right. Below is a link to some information on staging NSCLC. It is a good that she is being treated with chemo though. If it is just in her lung then it also seems a bit confusing that surgery wouldn't be an option or radiation for that matter. So really hard to provide you with any real advice with the information that you have. You must be very frustrated. Having said that you should know that at any stage of NSCLC there is always hope. There are many long term survivors and stories of hope here. Please keep us posted on how you and your sister are doing and any other facts that may help us help you. Take care

Sandra

http://www.cancer.org/docroot/CRI/conte ... ?sitearea=

ps I have probably messed up with this link but am sure somebody will come along and help me out. If you go to the NSCLC forum on this board, the link is one of the stickies at the very beginning of all the posts.

Hi SandraL

Do you think the doctor is not telling her everything, as she is really scared and didn't want to know anything at first, and she put it in the Doctor's hand. Especially, when her lung is collasped, and Tumor is wrapped around her lung. One minute she's telling me surgery, but she said she don't want it, then the doctor said no surgery. I know she is really scared, and she is getting to want to know more about a site she can go too. Do you think I should have her come here. BUT SHE IS REALLY SCARED, AND TO MUCH INFORMATION MIGHT UPSET HER MORE .

Teardrop

Hi again. Well I am sure she is very scared. And doctors sometimes walk a fine line in guagiing how much information they think a patient can handle. To begin with all we can handle is the fact that we have lung cancer. And then once we get over the initial shockwe start to be able to handle more information. Because knowledge is power and it helps us to be in control of our own treatment options. Please talk to her about how important it is to know everything no matter how scary it might be. And even at it's worst, please tell her that there is always hope and that you have found this great website where many people at later stages are here years later to tell about it. I hope she is not going to doctor's appointments alone as sometimes it is hard to digest everything and to remember it. So keep asking her questions and encourage her to do the same. And keep posting here for all the support you need.

Sandra

Hi Teardrop and Welcome-

Sorry you find the need to be here but hope we can lend you some support.

Does anyone go with your sister to the doctors?? That might be a good way in determing exactly what is going on. If you or another family member can go, you can ask lots of questions and get some definitive answers. If that is an option, please remember to bring pen and paper and write everything down. Some people even bring those little tape recorders. The docs are rattling off information so quickly, your sister may just be confused with all the medical jargon.

You hang in there and please let us know how we can help you.

Hugs - Patti B.

Hello Teardrop, Sorry you have the need to find us, but I am glad you did.

I do think your sister should join us. This is a scary journey no matter what, but not knowing things isn't they way to go forward in this journey.

No, I don't think her doctor is keeping things from her, they don't do things like that these days. I DO think your sister needs someone to go with her, because we cancer patients DO NOT HEAR what these doctor's are telling us once we hear the word CANCER! We tend to go haywire once we hear that word!

You mentioned her cancer was in her brain? Am I correct on that? If so, then she is not a stage II. I'm not sure what she or you mean when you say wrapped around the lung. Is it on the outside of the lung? This is a LOT to take in when your first starting out, but we will do all we can to help you and guide you along the way.

Lung Cancer IS TREATABLE ! This can be BEAT, even in the late stages. I was a Stage IIIB and I am a 13 year survivor.

We're here for you and for your sister. Some of this information DOES scare us, but we do get past that too! Knowledge IS POWER and in this journey it's NEEDED! Knowing IS better then not knowiing.

Does your sister have generally good health? Does she have a family (husband, kids). Support is so important during this time. You ALL need to be educated on this trip, and we're just the place that you'll get that. :wink:

Keep us posted and know we're here for you.

Thank you for your replies, and your kindness, I would like to answer some questions.

Sister has husband that supports her, and has her daughter-in-law, go to Chemo with her. Daughter-in-law talks to doctor, but doesn't ask questions, only if it's bad, and doctor told her she will be ok. The information I got from my sister is the tumor is on right lung with branches wrapped around it. Also it's treatable, and 5 years may come back. The minute tumors in her brain are gone due to Chemo. And the lung is collaspe.

I will get pieces of information as time goes by.

Love Teardrop

God Bless All