Introducing myself

grimie

Hi Grimie. Great to hear of your successes to date and welcome to this board. I have a spine met and am on 2nd line chemo (alitma first and now gemzar). Had radiation to my spine met as well. I hope you stick around and get to know us better. There are many supportive knowledgeable people here to lean on. Please keep us posted on how you are doing.

Sandra

Hi Grimie-

Welcome to the forum. Hope you find support here.

I am also Stage IV and have a couple of mets to my spine and hip. I was on Zometa for a while and on my last CAT scan, the mets hardly showed at all. I did, however, just show progression in my lungs and they have switched me to Tarceva. Have been on it for two and a half weeks now. Are you getting the rash yet??? I am still waiting. They say Tarceva can be a miracle worker when it works for you.

Hugs - Patti B.

Hi, Grimie, welcome to the group! Congratulations on being almost to the 1-year survival point with stage IV adenocarcinoma. When you get to your diagnosis anniversary, be sure to let us know and we'll help you celebrate! We're big on anniversary celebrations around here, and you don't have to be anywhere close to cancer-free to have a party held in your honor.

Earlier this month a reached my 2-year point with IIIb adenocarcinoma. I was on Taxol/Carboplatin/Avastin for 4 months, then Avastin alone the next 8 months, and switched to Tarceva 11 months ago. You can read the exciting details via the link below.

Please give us some more info on what led to your diagnosis, what sort of met placed you in stage IV last year, what chemo you had, what side effects you experienced, how you're feeling now, and how you're doing with the Tarceva so far. And if you haven't already, may I suggest that you visit cancergrace.org (the previous onctalk.com has been folded into GRACE, Global Resource for Advancing Cancer Education). There's a wealth of information there, especially on lung cancer, constantly updated by a Seattle oncologist who is an internationally-recognized expert on lung cancer and who gives high priority to promptly answering questions from people like you and me. A lot of us have "dual citizenship" so to speak, and have the same usernames there as here.

Best wishes and Aloha,

Ned

Hi Grimie and welcome.

I am sorry you had need to find a site such as this but so glad you have joined us!

Please, when you are up to it and ready, let us know more about you and your treatments, etc. It is very easy to fill in your signature/profile and by doing that it will give the folks here more information in order to offer you better advice.

In the meantime, please know that we are here for you and will do our best to offer you as much support as we can.

Warmly,

Christine

Hi Grimie. I don't have much treatment experience to tell you about since my husband just got diagnosed last month with stage iv with bone mets. He just started chemo last week along with Zometa. This weekend he was really achy with bone, joint, and muscle pain... just a general flu like achiness. I assume its from the Zometa. He got treatment Thursday, was OK Friday, was real bad Saturday and Sunday, Monday he felt better but still not 100% but today he feels OK and is back at work. While other parts of his chemo cocktail may have caused or exasperated this, I assume it was from the Zometa based on side effects listed on their patient info.

Welcome to the board! These folks are great!

Hi Grimie,

Welcome to the board.

I am a 4 yr 6 mo adenocarcinoma survivor. I was diagnosed at stage IIIa but progressed and have been at stage 4 for 2 years 9 months. I have had 2 spine mets and one pelvis met that have occured over the last 2 1/2 yrs.

My treatment after the bone mets has been Tarceva daily. In addition to the Tarceva I had some Avastin iv treatments that were given every 3 weeks for the 1st year and then stopped until January 2008 when a new spine met was found. I am now on the Avastin again and still taking the Tarceva daily. I had Zometa every 6 weeks for the 1st year also.

I also had radiation to one spine met and pelvic that was causing me pain for 10 days in January 2006.

I have my fingers crossed that the Tarceva will work its miracle on you. Let us know how you are doing and feel free to pm me if you want more info on the treatment I have had.

Wendy

Hello Grimie,

I offer you a very warm welcome, and do know that you have found a truly helpful, supportive, and informative site here on this board.

The community here is fantastic.

May your treatments of Zometa and Tarceva do the job of keeping the cancer in harness.

Please, let us know how you are doing, and let us know if we can help in any way.

Barbara

Grimie

Welcome to the board - I am so glad you found us. You will find lots of answers and support here.

I am Stage IV also - since December 2006 - with mets to brain and spine. I had radiation treatments and have been on Tarceva and Zometa since February 2007. I am NED - (no evidence of disease)

There are lots of posts on the site about side effects of Tarceva that will be helpful - as far as the Zometa - all I experience is ache, flu like symptoms the day after.

I pray the Tarceva works as well for you.

Janet