Fatigue & B12

blueangel1103

Fatigue was a huge side effect with Alimta and I was given a B12 shot every three weeks. I was still very tired bu who knows what it would have been like without the shot. I really have no idea if thats why they were even giving it to me or not!!

Wishing your mom the best!!!

Hugs - Patti B.

blueangel1103: Has anyone tried B12 for chronic fatigue related to chemo?

Like Patti, I was given B12 shots prior to going on Alimta, and addition was also told to take oral Vit B12 daily, along with prescription for Folic Acid during period I was on Alimta. I wasn not, however, told why I needed the B12 or Folic Acid for the Alimta, nor could I tell a difference as to fatigue/energy.

After my Alimta was stopped (highly toxic reaction plus it wasn't working), the B12 shots were also stopped, but I still had lots of oral B-12 and Folic Acid left over so I'm still taking them (figured it can't hurt).

I would like to know, however, if the B12 was for fatigue and also the reason for taking Folic Acid with it in case i want to conintue the two or even try getting B12 shots (privately if not too expensive; i.e., now that I'm not on hospice, only comfort care is covered and I'm not sure Vitamin B12 shots and/or folic acid would fall into those categories.

With love and affection,

Carole

I'm not sure if this is helpful or not but it does pertain to fatigue and B12.

When I was pregnant with my last baby, I was so tired all the time and in a lot of pain. My OB started me on B12 shots in hopes of relieving at least the fatigue aspect and it definitely improved things for me.

Granted this was not cancer related nor was it chemo related but I thought it might be worth sharing.

Christine

well, I got curious as to why I was on B12 and folic acid (even though I am no longer on Alimta). I looked up Alimta under chemocare.com and it says you are given those to help counter side-effects of Alimta. Since fatigue is such a HUGE issue with Alimta, I am thinking thats it!!!!

Hugs - Patti B.

The reason B12/folic acid supplements are given when on alimta is that one of alimta's operative effects is to shut down the body's natural production of folic acid/b-12, so the supplements are meant to --- you guessed it, supplement --- the loss of those naturally occurring nutrients.

When my poor father was suffering through this, his biggest issue was an absolute debilitating fatigue (he also had had WBR). We tried everything. We put him on a regular dose of the steroid prednisone (that actually worked well for a short while). We also had some ADD type stimulant -- one of the real cutting edge ones, forgot the name --- prescribed. We also had them check for hypothyroidism which can also cause debilitating fatigue. In all honesty, we never found anything that did the trick for my dad, but nothing was lost in tying.

Fatigue was a temporary side effect that my husband had as a result of taking Alimta.

It would appear like clockwork on or about the third day (decadron left the system) following the Alimta infusion, and it would remain anywhere from four to five days.

He would be fine then until the next infusion in 3 to 4 weeks.

We were told that the B12 was to replace what was depleted by the Alimta.

However, Bill still takes the supplement form of B12 as he had previously had neuropathy from an early-on chemo in 2004. It worked for that, so since is is a water-soluble vitamin, he decided to keep taking it.

Fatigue does hit Bill and every now and again, but it doesn't remain that long. My sense is that all that he has been through, has left his body a bit weaker than it was almost four years ago.

His arms and legs were always slim, but the muscle tone has depleted somewhat. I do the heavy lifting.

He felt quite a bit of fatigue when he experienced the WBR over a year ago. That took the longest to leave.

He does fine, though, and is generally up for activities. It's just that fatigue is an unwelcomed visitor on and off in his life. Bill loved to work and keep busy.

Sorry to ramble, it's a habit of mine lately as is fatigue (even though I take the B12's, as well). :D

Barbara

Barbara, You are allowed to ramble after 3 1/2 years by the side of a cancer survivor. Like Bill, I was always very energetic and worked a lot. The fatigue is my biggest complaint. I must say though, five weeks from my last Avastin and having cut two of my three bp meds in half, I feel the first seblemce of normalcy since my diagnosis almost a year ago.

I've been meaning to ask someone and this seems as good a time as any, what is WBR? I see it cropping up all the time and don't know what it stands for.

And BTW, I noticed Bill is due for a scan tomorrow, is that right? I'll keep him in my thoughts and send positive energy your way.

Judy in PA

Hi Judy,

Yes, WBR is whole brain radiation. He completed 20 treatments June of 2007. (He had a slight twitch in the upper part of his back. It was determined by the radiologist that a brain scan was needed.) They found one small metastasis in mid-brain. The location was not operable via surgery.

He took much longer to come out of the fatigue following that regimen than any before or since.

Tomorrow morning, we will be over at the Radiology Center. This will be the set that followed the stable and improvement scans taken three months ago.

We thank you, Judy, for the thoughts and the prayers. I have believed that prayers have seen us through for quite some time now - the more, the better.

Barbara