My mom...the world lost somone beautiful and courageous

phylsgirl

Just got back in town last night and I just wanted to let everyone know my mom, Phyllis, passed from this life on August 30, 2008. She was in the hospital and my grandmother was with her when she took her last labored breath.

My grandmother stayed in the hospital for the last three nights and my brother brought her change of clothing and food during that time.

My grandmother told me she told my mom, that we don't want to see her suffer anymore, and it is okay to let go. That we will miss her, but put her hand in the Lord's to lead her way. My grandmother also told mom we will always love her, but we will be okay, promise. Then my grandmother said she gave my mom a kiss and my mom took her final labored breath.

For some reason knowing my grandmother was with my mom at the end helped me alot. I had just seen my mom a week and a half prior to her passing, spending ten days back in my hometown (NYC), I think that helped me deal with this too.

I was on my way back for another visit when she passed (prior post on the subject ) http://lungevity.org/l_community/viewtopic.php?t=38459.

The funeral was a week ago today(September 8 and although my mom did not leave instructions, I believe I planned it the way she would have wanted it; a beautiful homegoing ceremony for a lovely lady, my mom.

We did not post an obit in the paper, but I will either set up one on a website or scan a photo of the program at a later date.

Again just want to thank everyone here for their support and I hope I can offer support in the future for those in need. Thank you all !!!

Hugs

Ree

(Phylsgirl)

Ree, So sorry for your loss. I've been following your mom's journey in your posts. I have children and grandchildren and know how hard it must have been for your mom to pass over and leave you all. God bless your grandmother for giving her permission to go. Mothers should not have to bury their children.

Please take comfort in the fact that family rallied around throughout her illness, her mother was there to ease her passing and you gave her the homegoing service she would have appreciated.

Judy in Key West

Thank you all who posted your kind thoughts and prayers for my family and I at this time

I was able to scan (somewhat) the cover of my mom's homegoing program it is at the bottom of my profile. I'll leave it there for a couple of weeks. Eventually I'll have a memorial site set up.

This was my first week back to my job, etc. I've been in touch with my grams each day except one. She is okay although this Friday she was a bit melancholy when I called, she had been thinking of my mom and my mom was her last surviving child. She said to me, " I can't believe they all left me."

So Jaminkw and Filse you are right in your post about mom's burying their children but it is equally hard for children to let go of their parents. I thought I would have had mom at least a few more years, it is very unfair. but it would have been more unfair to keep mom here if she was in pain and nothing more could be done.

"Ry"]Ree

It's wonderful that your mom had her mother with her until the end. How very peaceful and somehow right. I am so sorry for your loss.

Rochelle

Thank you Ry, you are right about my grandmother being with with mom. Grams said that being with ma at the end brought her, a sense of peace -so yeah it was right and her being their with mom brought me a sense of peace as well and along with faith too.

HeartolftheSouth- I am so sorry to hear about your grandma, same day as my mom. Thank you for your words of comfort to me and mine. I hope you and your family are holding on to each other at this time, but remember, your grandma is no longer suffering and you and yours, like mine, have a lifetime of loving memories, that is what she would want you to focus on.

I went back to work on Monday, (I should have taken an extra day off instead of going back the day after I arrived back in town...anyway) I have also been trying to settle ma's things...phone calls, emails, letters, etc. but that makes me feel close to her too, this is all so strange... again, thank you all so much.

Hugs

Ree

(Phylsgirl)

Hi Ree,

Just read your post and Iam so sorry your mom passed, but at the same time so glad she is painfree and her mom was with her in the end. How hard that must have been for your grandmom to see the passing of her child.

My heart goes out to you and my mom will live on through you, her mom and all her love ones.

My heart goes out to yours. There really is such a tremendous void when you lose your mom who was always seem to make everything right with words of encouragement when we need it most. There is nothing livke a moms hug and words of comfort and support.

I am deeply sorry for your loss.

Maryanne :cry: