Just Had Thoracic Surgery

TJ

Hi Everyone,

This is my first time posting I have only known about this sight for a couple of weeks. I had surgery Feb. 12, 2003, they removed the upper right lobe. Was diagnosed with stage 1A NSCLC. It was a miracle that mine was found. My primary Dr. was closing his practice in Dec. 2002 and I had to find a new Dr. When I switched the new Doc ordered a chest x-ray as routine for a new patient, the last chest x-ray I had was in 1997 that one was clear. Two days after the x-ray the Drs. office called me at work and told me to come in that day. The Dr. said the tech. had acctually put a size to the spot on the film and that raised his antenna, he is a gen. practitioner but has done pulmonary. From there he ordered a CT scan and it was there also 2.8 cm. He sent me to a Pulmonary Spec. and he did a Broncoscopy but they were unable to get enough to make a diagnosis which I had to wait 1 week to find this out. Then he did a needle biopsy then waited 3 days the nurse called told me the results were positive, when I asked if that meant it was malignant she told me not necesarily(but I thought that was what they were checking for). This all happened the two weeks before Christmas which was very stressful for me. The end of Jan. went back to the Pulmonologist and he confirmed what I already knew it was malignant. He is a good Christian man and actually had prayer with us in his office that day which I have never had a Dr. do before. He called and got me in to see a thoracic surgeon the next day which I found out later that he is one of the best thoracic surgeons in our area. Didn't have my surgery for two weeks because I had to have more scans. Everything went great the cancer was contained in that lobe everything else was clear so I didn't have to have rad or chemo.

I have not gone back to work yet, supposed to try April 14th. My primary Dr. says I am way ahead of schedule. I have not taken any pain meds for 3 weeks now. I still have a little pain but not bad. How long was it before you were able to lift things and exercise? I have been doing some walking but still get out of breath alot. Wish I had found this site before my surgery.

TJ

Hello, I also had my right upper lobe removed and also found out in December but it was 5 yrs ago, and it was not as early as you for I had to have chemo, radiation then surgery then more chemo.

EXERCISE is very important. I just went to an inservice by our thoracic surgeon who

1. Did not want his patients to eat unless they were up in a chair.

2. Wanted us to start range of motion of the affected shoulder on day 2

3. Walk , Walk , Walk.

No one told me any of this when I had my surgery and I believe I had needless problems with my shoulder because of this. One of the women in our group also had her husband taught to "knead" the incision line to keep the skin from scaring to the muscle, and also from binding up. I think with lotion gently moving it around back and forth. ( After the skin healed)

Also water aerobics are suppose to be very good for you and it help build lung capacity.

Guest DaveG

TJ:

I spilt your post off into a new topic, as I believe you will get better response to this.

I am sorry that you have the need to find us. You have joined the most wonderful people in the world of Lung Cancer. Many here have experienced the same things as you and I know that you will get many responses.

I, normally, am very upbeat and very positive, but as you have probably noticed, I am having a small crisis myself.

Nonetheless, you are very welcome here. You are among friends. In one form or another, lung cancer has touched each and everyone here. These people are the greatest support network in the world, as I can personally attest to.

Keep us updated as to your progress. Before you know it, you will be the one dishing out words of support.

Guest Janet W

Wow, so much of your story is like mine! I went in for my surgery (upper right lobe, stage 1A, no chemo, no radiation, no spread) on December 18 (2001) - had to stay through Christmas, went home on New Year's. My doctor left our state shortly after that and I had to find a new doctor -

But back to your questions. I took off 2 months - that is, I didn't go back to work for 2 months. I had to have the chest tube in for a full month though so I think that slowed me down.

When I went back to work, I wasn't very strong and I got out of breath pretty easily for a long while - but it got better. The thing I did the most of at work was WALK WALK WALK and then WALK SOME MORE. Up and down stairs, many times a day. Easily 4 - 5 miles a day up and down stairs and hallways at work. Sounds a lot worse than it was. :)

All that walking has paid off - tremendously. I waited until past the 6 month or so mark before I started an aerobics/walking program - that benefitted me a great deal, too. I've never been into exercise, but all the walking and aerobics has made such a difference for me with this operation -

It's been 15 months or so now - I'm almost back to normal. :)

Guest peter R

Janet,I too had surgery 7/1/02 stage 1A right lung wedge excision and was back to work on 7/5/02 on a limited schedule and in about 5/6 weeks I felt as strong as I was before the surgery. Now because of vigorous execise 1 to two hours a day I feel even stronger.

I am 69 and as of today I feel I will live to 100, if lung cancer can't do me in nothing will!

CHEERS

:D

Guest Janet W

FOUR days? You went back to work in FOUR days? Are you nuts? How did you DO that? wow. My lung wouldn't stay up unless I was attached to that box with the suction on it - I stayed on it for two weeks and then they removed ONE chest tube - the other stayed in and I went home with it for another two weeks. No way in the world could I have worked.

As for feeling stronger - I'm almost back to "normal" now, breathing wise - it feels good, too. :) My strength - yes, I think I AM stronger, healthier - I know I LOOK twenty times better than I did. My weight is much better - before I could never gain much, my skin color is a lot healthier looking, etc. - maybe that comes just from quitting smoking - but whatever, it's pretty cool.

Guest Peter R

Janet,My operation was done at Mass.General by Dr. Wain and it was minimally invasive and I think that made all the differnce for quick recovery.

I also went into surgery in faily good condition with no other issues to contend with.

I had the operation on the 1st of July drove 200 miles home with my wife on the 4th of July and went to work on the 5th of July.

I stopped taking pain killers when I left the hospital and used just Advil for a week or so.

I would heartly recommend Mass General for surgery.

Guest Janet W

ohmigosh. I didn't get to come out of ICU until after 2 days.....After that they had me taking double doses of Tylox in addition to regular shots of Demerol until I left the hospital two weeks later -

I was in pretty good shape when I went in, not sick, had just turned 40..should have been up and about quickly but my body totally freaked out and refused to heal .

If I ever have to do this again, I'll check out Mass. General, even if it IS several states away. Sounds a lot easier!!

Guest DaveG

Janet:

You are not alone. I, too, had the same problems you did, when I had my first surgery. Lung wouldn't expand, got one tube out and had to go home with one in place. Had the exact same probelms with going back to wor, and I finally retired after two months of trying and not getting any place.

Gee, maybe we shoulde take pictures of our backs and compare scars :lol::lol::lol:

Peter, did you have your surgery by VAT? (video assisted thorocotomy). I went to a thoracic onocology seminar recently and a thoracic surgeon spoke. He showed us a video of him taking out a whole lung through a tiny slit, - no big smiley incision. He said so far only a few surgeon know how to do it this way although most can do biopsies using VAT. The recovery time is much shorter , less complication, less permanent damage to nerves and ribs ( they do not have to break your ribs) He also said that it has to be someone who has not had radiation or chemo prior and the tumor has got to be easy to get at , not wrapped around something etc. But for those that fit the bill boy it is great. Well tell us ! Did you have surgery by VAT? Is that how you got over it so quick?

Guest Peter R

Donna G, I don't recall that term VAT,but yes a small incission on my side was made and a camera was inserted as will as one down my windpipe.The scar on my back is about 4".

If I don't look into a mirror I would not know I had an operation.The day after the operation I was walking for several hours at a time.I would have been released in two days except I came down with a slight fever that went away in a few hours, and they kept me over an extra day.Operation first of July and out on the 4th.