George Carlin's Wisdom

Newbride

I got an e-mail today with quotes by George Carlin. Some of them I had heard before, some like the one below, I hadn't. I'm not sure if George really said this..but it was in a list of quotes on "How to Stay Young". But this particular one just jumped out at me.

I wanted to share it because since I got re-married, I realized the odds of me burying another husband are high (Given that women live longer than men). Not a pleasant thought, but a practical one. How will I react?

The Quote:

"The tears happen. Endure, grieve, and move on. The only person, who is with us our entire life, is ourselves. Be ALIVE while you are alive."

I realized through Mike's fight and my grieving process that I have to think in terms of eternity. Those words, "the only person who is with us our entire life is ourselves", is SO true. Children grow up and move away...parents age, get sick and die...spouses can leave by death or divorce.

"Endure, grieve and move on." That's all we can do. To endure is to accept, to grieve is to allow yourself the luxury of crying and being gentle with yourself and when the joy comes in the morning after the mourning...to move on and live your life.

Don't be so afraid of dying that you forget to live!

Hugs to all.

Shannon