LOW SODIUM.....anyone else?

truematch20

Hi, my 59 year old beautiful healthy mum who's never been sick a day in her life has just been diagnosed with sclc limited stage. She has just finished her first 3 day cycle of chemo but she has been in hospital 3weeks now and the reason is her sodium is so low and they just can't get it back up. they were keeping it pretty steady on a fluid restriction but during chemo she had to keep drinking so it went way down again and she is more sick from that than the chemo. Did anyone else remember their sodium being an issue at all? The onc seems quite baffled by it all. I'm so glad to have found this site , the stats are so depressing and scary for me but the hope faith and humour in this one site is uplifting.

Welcome Truematch. Don't be disheartened that no one so far is familiar with your mom's sodium issue. No one was familiar with my type of cancer for what seemed like forever, but Dr West finally said he had a patient with a case similar to mine. To me that's the hardest, trying to find someone who matches the cancer, the treatment, the side-effects etc, fairly closely so we can get info on what to expect.

Hang in, keep searching and check out Dr West.

Judy in Key West (now driving somewhere in SC)

Hi, truematch. My husband also was also diagnosed with low sodium. They just kept him on IV fluids until it resolved. When this happened to Larry, he wasn't actually on an active treatment plan, so chemo was certainly not the cause. But it did cause him to be quite ill. It was a very scary time.

I know this doesn't answer your question in any way. But just know that I can understand what you are going through. And you have my prayers for a speedy recovery for your mom.

Lynn

Hi truematch.My wife does not have cancer but she does have diabetas. She has always had trouble with her feet and ankles swelling but about a month ago they were extra big. She normally cant have diuretics because of the diabetis but they decided to try one. It helped the swelling almost immediately and the water retention but she just kept feeling ill and kind of confused. She went back to the doctor and they immediately put her in the hospital because her sodium level had dropped so low.Maybe yours is related to the cancer treatment or it might be from something else altogether.Hope they get it figured out for you.

• 2 weeks later...

I, too had and continue to have a problem with low sodium. It kept me in the hospital for a few days longer, when I was first diagnosed. As it was explained to me, it is caused by a hormone which is released by the cancer and effects your electrolytes, which sodium is one. The danger of low sodium is that it can effect kidney function, and ultimately lead to kidney failure. During my remission period, not surprisingly, my sodium was fine. Now I have another active tumor and have been taking thermotabs ( salt pills) to keep my sodium level up. It's a sticky wicket and something they will monitor, but it's not an insurmountable issue. Keep your chin up!!

• 2 weeks later...