Some Kinda BS!!/update 11/10/08

Tom has not been doing well the last 5 days or so and it is just getting worse.

First his BP dropped again and then the cough came back big time. He is breathing very hard all day like he just ran a 5K. He also just told me this morning that his vision keeps going blurry and he is dizzy all the time.

He went to the Onc's office this morning and was there for an hour. While he was there they drew blood on him and his O2 sats are at 90. They told him they did not know what was wrong with him and that he needed to either go to the ER or see his primary.

So Tom being Tom he called the primary and they saw him at 2 p.m. this afternoon. They tell him what we all knew already, "Tom, you do have a chronic lung disease. There is really nothing we can do for you." BS,BS,BS!!! :evil::evil:

So they give him an inhaler to try and some more Tussionex. No tests, no scans, no x-rays. Just, "Here take this and maybe you will feel better." BS,BS,BS!!! :evil::evil:

He has fought so hard to beat the cancer that I will be DAMNED if I am going to lose him to COPD or something of the like!!! :evil::evil::evil:

Denise

Denise-

GGGGGGGRRRRRR!!!! I know exactly how you feel. Everything lately with my doc is "its a side effect of long term chemo". Well, we know how full of sh@t he was with the blood clot thing, huh!!!

Do you think Tom would go to the ER??? At least there, they will run a million tests.

I am thinking of you, girlfriend. Go give them hell!!!

Hugs - Patti B.

has he ever had a pleural effusion done?? fluid develops around the lungs as an effect of the treatment and a drain is done to release fluid and it generally feels better! Just a thought besides the usual crap that everyone tells Ya!!

Prayers and thoughts always RANDY

You go Denise! I agree with Patti. Get him to go to ER. Don't even tell them you have talked to the onc. Hopefully once in there they will do a bunch of tests. And Randy also has a good thougth re fluid build up. That can cause major coughing for sure and needs to be drained if that is the cause. So tell him he HAS to go. I agree, he hasn't fought this hard to stop following up on things now. Please keep us posted.

Sandra

Good Lord.. the guy could have a PE (clot in the lung)! What the heck! Weird too that the ONC would send him someplace else... when Dad got sick, his Onc said.. I AM YOUR DOC NOW... for everything! You need to take him to the ER, STAT!!! At pulse ox of 90 is unexceptable!!! I hope that he gets the proper care he deserves!!!

Sorry you have to go though all of this Denise!

Shelli

Thanks guys.

Tom neglected to tell me that the Onc gave him another order for a chest x-ray. He does not believe Tom when he told him he had it done last week. The Onc did not get a copy and I guess they could not pull it up in the system. So tomorrow morning he will go for another x-ray.

The cough syrup they gave him is Tussionex Pennkinetic ER and the inhaler is Symbicort 160-4.5/budesonide/formoterol combo. We will see what that does for him.

How do you diagnose a pleural effusion? Can you tell from an x-ray if the fluid is there?

Denise

Can you tell from an x-ray if the fluid is there?

It depends on how much fluid is present. If there's a lot, it can completely obliterate the view of everything else in that location. My first x-ray looked much like the second photo in this article:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pleural_effusion

except my effusion was on the right side and part of my right upper lobe was visible above the fluid. A CT scan provides view slices in three dimensions, so the structures are visible in addition to the fluid.

Ned

Sue

Tom was given prednisone for 2 weeks after radiation and when he finished that the cough came back. He then took it for 2 more weeks and he was fime when he was on it but now the cough is back again along with the other stuff.

It was the radiologist that put him on it but he has not called her back regarding this.

He also DID NOT go for his chest x-ray today!! He said he will go tomorrow. He did not drag himself out of bed today until after 8:30 a.m. and normally he is at Grammy D's having breakfast by 6:30 a.m. :(

He is just feeling to weak. He did manage to get it together and go to work though.

Denise

Still no ER for Tom. He has been on his new meds for 2 days now and he said today has been WAY better than the last week. He sounds better too. The breathing is not so labored. He slept real good last night too.

So maybe we are on to something.

Denise

Hi Denise. I am glad to hear that Tom is feeling better. However (and I don't mean to sound like a broken record) but I am still very worried about liquid on his lungs. I too was given an inhaler to help and it did...but only very short term. The source of the problem was still there. I am hoping this isn't the case for him but please keep it in mind over the weekend.

Sandra

Hi Denise,

I just caught sight of your posting this morning. We have been caught up in plumbing problems around here.

What I wanted to say is thankfully Tom is feeling better. That is really good news.

Sunday morning at about 2 a.m., Bill began coughing (seemingly, out of the blue) and I found him in the bathroom coughing up blood.

I told him we were going to the ER. He put up resistance, but blood is blood and it sunk in that it was not a good sign.

After CT scans and X-ray, the ER doctor said that Bill had no blood clots, nothing outstanding BUT did have a lot of scar tissue. She prescribed antibiotics, Tessalon Pearls [Pharmacy gave a substitute - Benzonatate. The doctor had not checked off "no substitutions," but these are OK.] and an inhaler.

Last night, when he went to bed, we propped up two pillows with a support (It's like a beach prop to lean against) in back to keep pillows in place.

He slept the entire night without one cough. I don't think he can sleep in a flat position. He needs to be more upright.

He coughed some more this morning, with blood, but took the cough pill - so far, so good.

Sorry to relate all of this personal detail, Denise, but I thought Tom and Bill might be having similar reactions to lung problems. This was the first time Bill has coughed so intensely in 4 years. Four years ago, he had pneumonitis and also had the coughing with some blood.

Hope both Bill and Tom find an improvement.

Barbara

Well guys. Tom got worse again over the weekend. The new meds do not seem to be working during the day. They only seem to help him sleep at night. He is exhausted and has a gray pallor to his skin.

I called the pulmonologist and we see him today at 4 p.m.

I will post later as to what the pulm says.

Barb - I hope that Bill also gets some relief soon.

Thanks

Denise

With a gray pallor, I would be concerned about oxygen saturation. Do you have any way to test for that at home (I know some people on the board do, I don't)?

Also, when my father had a gray tone, he was having heart issues - my dad doesn't haven't LC, though, only needed bypass surgery. (Ha! "only")

Maybe you should start pushing the ER idea - if needed, they'll take him for tests and x-rays from there, he doesn't even have to get dressed! :roll:

Good luck!