I think I am being paranoid...or am I?

wondermom

My dad has been coughing for 2 months now. My sister and brother also had bad coughs that started about the same time but theirs went away after about 3 weeks. He went to the doctor (the same one who treated my mom for pneumonia for 2 months before sending her somewhere else) and he said he had bronchitis and put him on antibiotics. That didn't do anything. Last week he called the doctor again and he was put on steroids to see if that would help. Well, it has been a week and no improvement. I am kind of freaking out here. What would be the odds that both of my parents (who don't smoke) would have lung cancer. I am trying not to go there but it is just so familiar. This is the same time of year my mom started having trouble. The same doctor who for some reason doesn't feel x-rays are necessary in these situations. I told my dad to insist on an x-ray but I can't make him. I am just so depressed today thinking about this. I dread calling dad to ask him how he is doing. I just have this horrible feeling inside that something isn't right but maybe it is just because of everything we went through with Mom. Maybe I am just overthinking everything. I just wish he would get better! I am driving my husband crazy with all my worrying. This just can't happen again.

It could be nothing, but he should find out. My dad was treated for a cold, bronchitis, etc. for a couple months (without an XRay), before stage IV LC was diagnosed. Can you call the Dr.s office and share your concern with the dr.? Then, if that doesn't do any good, call and scream at him, reminding him of your mother's experience.

Muriel

Thanks everyone. I know I need to push him but I also know he has to be the one to make the call. He told me last week he would give the steroids until Monday and then he would call again. So we will see what tomorrow brings. I just hate this feeling. I keep thinking there should be some kind of improvement. I just want to have nothing to worry about for a while! Just when things start to look up something happens and the worry and stress are back. Does anyone ever feel like they are constantly waiting for the other shoe to drop?

Unfortunately, as parents age...things go wrong more frequently, but we have to remind ourselves that it isn't always dire..that said, even med school has the bottom of the class. A doc who doesn't AT LEAST recommend an xray...pretty standard stuff...seems a bit...off.

That said I will dig in on the x-ray vs ct scan thing...a spiral ct may be a little $ out of pocket...but I know I want as much detail as possible if I'm gonna get my internal pic taken.

Press you dad to do the chest x-ray. I was in the same situation with my father last Christmas. He was experiencing pain in his left shoulder. They ruled out anything to do with his heart very quickly and then they did a chest x-ray and spotted a mass. As you can image, I was beside myself. I told the Dr. that my father was not allowed to have lung cancer becaise my mom already had it and we just weren't going to do it again.

Well, the CT scan showed that the mass was an abnormal tangle of blood vessels due to his mild COPD.

The moral of the story is--you need to know! He needs to know.

Susan

So Dad is going in tomorrow morning for a chest x-ray and doctor visit. I told him to ask about his blood pressure medication. I have read that that can cause chronic cough. Also told him to ask about acid reflux. I hope he gets some kind of answer. Keep your fingers crossed and a prayer or two would be greatly appreciated. :wink:

I'm so glad your dad agreed to the x-ray. People we love can be so stubborn about taking care of themselves, and we pay the price in worry or loss. You are right about the bp med. My husband had that problem but I can never remember what that med was. Anyway, you are on a good track now.

Judy in Key West

I am so glad your Dad is finally going... I am praying very hard for you ... Its awful when once cancer hits your family, its like you are just SURE that every bump, lump, cough etc. must be cancer again.. I know I feel that way too!! The idea about the medicine is a very good question, I know I just started a heart med and they told me one of the side effects could be a chronic cough... so keep being Dads advocate, he needs you to think of all the things he won't think of!!! Please keep us all posted... Love, Sharon

Hope everything is OK with your dad. From personal experience, it is possible to have bronchitis for over two months. Last year, I had a bad case of bronchitis (laryngitis for two weeks, coughing so hard I couldn't sleep) from Labor Day until after Halloween. My mom (who has lung cancer) was so convinced I had pneumonia that I finally ended up going to the doctor at the end of September. There wasn't anything he could do, and it eventually did go away. My doctor said (and I confirmed through Dr. Google) that bronchitis nearly never responds to antibiotics. Hopefully that eases your mind a little (not that your dad shouldn't go back to the doctor and make sure it's nothing).

Dad just e-mailed me about his appt. The x-ray was clear as far as the doctor could tell. (A radiologist will still look at it.) They looked at his medications and he mentioned that 3% of people on flomax (for prostate issues) have a cough. He didn't say anything about the blood pressure medications which I found interesting. Although I think Dad has been on that for a while so probably would be ruled out as causing this cough. I guess he was in last year at this time after not feeling well for a couple months so now they are thinking he has allergies. They gave him something to try and if that doesn't help they are going to try taking him off the flomax for a while to see if that helps. Hopefully it is just allergies. Wouldn't that be great? I told him to still keep in mind the blood pressure meds and acid reflux as things to ask about if he still doesn't improve. Thanks for all the support. I will keep you updated.

So glad things are starting to look up even tho I realize you have to wait for the radiologist report to feel perfectly comfortable. If you want to check out the cough and whether it's related to the bp med, it's easy. Just get the name of it and ask the pharmacist. That's how my husband found out. When he wants to know about any side effects to prescription meds, he asks his pharmacist now. They are more in touch with those things than the doctors.

Judy in Key West