Dad in no longer suffering

Lillee0708

We were given 24 hours today, so my sister and I decided to leave the hospice to get some things from home. I told dad it was ok to go to sleep and let go. No more than 45 minutes later as we were heading out the door to go back, I got the phone call. Dad has passed. He waited until no one was there. I am so numb right now. Just glad he is no longer suffering. He didn't want us to see him go :(

Lillee,

I am so sorry for your loss. A friend of mine who works at a hospice told me once that patients often waited until they were alone to let go. Like you said, some people don't want their loved ones to watch them pass. It was his final act of love for you. I wish you peace in knowing that your father is no longer suffering and that at the end he was holding you in his heart.

Susan

Oh Lillee, I am so sorry. When Tom’s sister was in hospice we kept a 24 hrs a day watch on her for 2 weeks and she chose the moment that we all walked into the hall to talk and no one was in the room to let go from this world. I guess there is a certain dignity to going alone. Take comfort in knowing he is no longer in pain. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family at this very difficult time.

Denise

Lillee, I do believe that sometimes a person can in the end decide when and how he/she wants to leave this world. Unfortunately, what they want and need does not always match what loved ones want and need. I hope you can take comfort in the thought that he is no longer suffering and in the end he did it his way.

Judy in Key West