Missed 2 chemos now due to low blood cell counts

ChristinaMarie

anyone else miss 2 treatments in a row? Today put him at 4 weeks after his 2nd round of carbo/taxol/avastin and his counts are still way low.

Anyway, we are meeting with the onc next thursday which will put him 5 weeks since treatement. I am just getting anxious about our "end date" moving back further and further... we were hoping to be done with this by Turkey Day :(

This is not uncommon if his blood counts are down. They HAVE to do this for safety reasons. Chemo is VERY POWERFUL and to much is NOT a good thing. I know it's scary, but honest they have his best interest in mind. Take it one day at a time. It's better to do what ever it takes if it gives him a longer life. Turkey days come and go, just be patient.

Best wishes and try and stay positive.

Col did carbo/taxol as well, and her blood counts dropped beyond belief after EVERY treament...So low in fact, that she they gave her a blood transfusion, typically about a week out of each treatment this would happen.

Don't know it that's a good thing, a bad thing, or anything. Maybe that's not normal, maybe it's not an option for some, it it sure as heck made her feel better for a little while before the next treatment, and she never had to miss a treatment for that.

I am sorry to hear about the missed chemo Christina. It definitely starts to make you feel anxious about treatment. But if blood counts are too low then it is simply too dangerous. I don't think missing 1 or even 2 is a big deal in the grander scheme of things. I hope he gets back on track with his treatment plan soon. Take care and keep us posted

Sandra