New here and to lung cancer

Don M

I have never joined a forum before and so will have to stumble around until I get the hang of the mechanics. I am about to have an upper left lobectomy. Does anyone know about video assisted lobectomy? Is it being done anywhere? My pulmonolgist says that video assisted techniques won't work for a lobectomy but i have seen some studys discussed on line.

I don't know about video assisted lobectomy but...I do want to wish you well with whichever procedure you choose. I had a video assisted thoracotomy (VATS) for removal of three nodules 5/02 and a full thoracotomy 7/02 for surgery on all three lobes of the right lung. While the VATS is easier with a quicker recovery, the thoracotomy was tolerable.

I am sorry you have to be here and require a lobectomy at all. I am sure some people here wil be better able to directly answer your question. In the interim, if you have any other questions, there are so many people here with volumes of knowlege....

I will definitely pursue video assisted surgery. At this point I am just getting used to the idea that I have cancer. But, I guess I am one of the "lucky ones" because PET scan shows it to be retricted to one of my upper left lobes.. I am 59 and have been healthy all my life and always considered that I had an excellent immune system. I smoked between ages 24 and 40 and am 59 now, My brother died of lung cancer. But I am really surprised that I have it.

I am impressed by the courage people show in their postings here.

Hello Don;

Welcome to our wonderful group, But so very sorry you have been dx.'ed with this terrible beast. Can't really help you with the VAT's but I did want to say that for me the most important thing was that they were able to remove all the cancer and that the margins were clear. That meant that they removed my entire left lung along with 18 nodes. That was 2 and 1/2 years ago and life is certainly not what it was but I'm still a grateful SURVIVOR today. Also, please don't hesitate to get second opinions, look to get treatment at a cancer center by experienced dr.'s, write down your questions and try to have someone go with you. I know much of this sounds obvious, but you'd be surprised how many people take things for granted. It's really easy to get caught up in the fear and anguish that goes with this disease and miss these things. Anyway, your in a good place here, many will help ya, We all believe that no one should go through this alone!

again welcome, Oh, the family pic was taken 8 weeks after surgery, I was hiking in the rainforests of Costa Rica, not easy but doable! :shock: I was 50 at the time.

God bless and be well

Bobmc- NSCLC- stageIIB- left pneumonectomy- 5/2/01

" absolutely insist on enjoying life today!"

Hi Don, One of memeber here Donna G from Minnesota seems to be very knowledgeable about the video assisted surgery, is sounds like it is a lot less invasive then the tradiational lobectomy. I think Donna might be out of town right now, but hopefully she will see your post and reply. I'll see if I can pm her. DavidA

Hi Don,

I agree with Bobmc that "margins" are very important. The research I have seen seems to indicate that lobectomy and pneouctomy (entire lung) are superior to "wedges" in terms of survival. My Surgeon only could located 7 lymph nodes... He said I simply did not have many or they were very small.....but then again, i think the more the better in terms of ensuring survival.

Health, physical activity and other factors all play into the recovery from a thoracotomy. Mine went very well, and I recovered very quickly with no pain.

I was amazed an how well my team handled the surgery, hospitalization aspect of my care. They really have it down to a science, in terms of keeping me pain free.... and monitoring the recovery process.

First step is to find a good surgeon... have the operation, and focus on recovering from the procedure.. you will have time to weigh your options and do research on any chemo/ radiation if it is even required. Go to a comprehensive cancer center, and get second opinons (Crucial!)

Joe

I found a surgeon and a hospital that does video assisted lobectomys: Ralph Aye at Swedish Hospital in Seattle. But, if I stay with the team I have now, and go with the conventional full thoractomy, I can get the cancer out a week earlier. I guess I don't want to wait while the second surgeon evaluates my case. Tomorrow I consult with my team in Olympia, Wa., and I have all but decided to get it out using the original team some time in the middle of next week probably. I will still bombard them with a long list of questions I have prepared. My wife will go in with me to be a second set of ears. The Olympia surgeon is supposed to very good as is the hospital in Olympia. St. Peter's Providence Hospital. Bye.

Don,

In terms of your recovery, it'll hurt when you laugh, but make sure you do! Find humor in the little things that you can do nothing about (instead of getting upset)...my first "little thing" occured when I was moved to my room from Cardiac ICU (I needed "extra" babysitting due to a more intense surgery than I had originally signed up for)... They had put me in a wheelchair that made "antique" sound new...and on the last turn into the room, the front wheel fell off! "Quality care" at its finest, I guess.

No one was hurt, and the nursing staff where I was was beyond excellent. I enjoyed them during my 9 day stay at "Club Med"...

Take care, take notes, and hang on for the ride of your life,

Becky

Hello , I just got back on line. I am going through the 295 postings in the past 3 weeks and found yours. Yes I know a doctor here in Minneapolis that does VAT surgery and he can take out a whole lung that way. I was at a Thoracic Onocology Consortium here in the Twin Cities and he showed us a video of one of his surgerys. It cannot be done if the tumor wraps around a major vessel, or touches the heart , these would have to be seen first hand to be safe. Let me know if you would want to have it done in Minnesota , he works at University Hospital. Donna

Hi Don,

I can't help with the information on VAT, but I wanted to take this moment to welcome you to our group.

If at any time you have a need, whether it be to gain information, vent, laugh, or anything we are here for you.

I wish you the best of luck with the lobectomy and will add you to my prayers.

God Bless,

Carleen

This was posted today by a guest in the new treatment section.

http://www.or-live.com/healthalliance/1135

Innovative operation to treat lung cancer will be broadcast live on Thursday, Dec. 18 at 5:00 pm Est from University Hospital in Cincinnati. John Howington, M.D., director, division of Thoracic Surgery, will be demonstrating a Video Assisted Thoracic Surgery (VATS) with lobectomy. This event will be moderated by Walter Merrill, M.D., chief, section of cardiothoracic surgery. The procedure being broadcast is performed on patients with small peripheral lung cancers, and is done with 2 to 3 small portals placed between the ribs and a three-inch access incision in the chest, without spreading the ribs. Because fewer and smaller incisions are made, the patient has a shorter recovery and is in less pain. Viewers to the live webcast will have the ability to email questions directly to the OR for an on-camera response. A preview video is currently available at

http://www.or-live.com/healthalliance/1135

Thanks Cary and Donna for your info on VATS. After talking to the surgeon, I have decided to go with conventional thoracotomy. Not only does my lesion have to come out, but there are other bodies that need to be checked and removed to see if they are malignant, i.e., several swollen lymph nodes and a pleural based nodule at the bottom of my left lung. The lesion is 3x6cm contained in the upper left lobe. It has just barely enough margin. I may lose the whole lung if the tumor has spead along a blood vessel to the lower lung. And, when the chest is open the surgeon can look and feel for anything the scans may have missed. My main goal is to get rid of the cancer and not balance that with quick recovery. Here's hoping the lymph nodes are cancer free. Everything except the lesion checks out cancer free on my PET scan, but the scan is just 80% accurate. I had a bronchoscopy and a lung needle biopsy, but they were inconclusive presumably because the center is necrotic. The PET scan shows a ring lighting up around the mass. I have two 3 cm lesions in my liver that was ct scanned and was a concern for being metastatic, but the PET scan says that they are benign. So, I may squeak by. They still don't know what kind of cancer it is, they will have to biopsy it after surgery. I guess there is a remote possibility that the ring of light around the mass is not from cancer, but I am not going to take the chance. Yup, out it comes. I do have a history of benign skin lesions, but that did not impress the docs too much. I asked them if I get a consolation prize if it turns out not to be cancerous. Ha Ha. I told the surgeon I want my rib back. He said, sure as long as I remind him on surgery day. Maybe I can make a flute out of it. My surgery is schduled for Jan 2 at Capitol Medical Center in Olympia, Wa.