Update on Dad

wondermom

He is still coughing. He told me earlier this week he thought it was a bit better after trying some medication for acid reflux but he told me tonight it is really about the same. He finally got a referral to see a pulmonologist on Friday. Hopefully they can get to the bottom of this...and quickly. He says his appetite is good and he feels ok other than the cough so that is good.

Well, the pulmonary doctor also feels that Dad has reflux. She told him to continue on the prilosec for another two weeks and to check back after that. Of course Dad is frustrated with no definate answer but I guess that is how these things go? She gave him a bunch of breathing and oxygen tests and those were all good so that is good. She said sometimes the prilosec can take 3 or more weeks to kick in.

• 2 weeks later...

So frustrating. Dad is STILL coughing. I am just sick with worry. I told him to call back and get on the list for the ph test and to let her know the reflux medication is not working. I sure hope this is all it is. Dad said that he was talking to his brother about it and it turns out he also had reflux and had to have his esophagus stretched. Hopefully that is a sign that this is just a hereditary reflux problem. My uncle didn't have the coughing though. I just don't want it to be lung cancer.

Yes, he has had a chest x-ray and it was good but we all know sometimes things don't show up on those. Actually the woman dad is seeing has been great about this. She went with to his appt. and is pushing him to ask for a CT scan so I am greatful that she is another person encouraging him to get to the bottom of this. I think the next step though is to take a ph test but there is a 2 week waiting list to get it done. UGGG.