hospice

Don M

Hospice

I had another lung function crash this past Tuesday. I got out of the hospital today. I went on antibiotics and prednisone. I had pneumonia. I have to be on oxygen 24 7 for now. I could still get some more function back. They did a ct scan and found that my cancer is spreading and growing. The big tumor is on the move again. I have 2 new lesions on my liver. It is apparently in my backbone and ribs. The small tumors are growing. The palliative care doctor at the hospital had a talk with my oncologist and they agree that any more treatment would cause more harm than good. I did not tolerate the last chemo well. I am inclined to agree with them and will probably enroll in home care hospice in a few weeks. I want to consult with my oncologist first on some items and I may run it all by the folks at Swedish.

Mean while the family is fixing me up a nice big room down stairs so I won’t have to go up and down the stairs any more. I think I will like it there better.

Don M

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I too am very sorry to read this Don, and like the others, you will definitely be in my prayers. You have been much help to me on this board, not sure if you knew that or not. For that I am grateful. Please take care and know you are in the thoughts of all of us here.

Hi Don,I am so sorry to read the latest. I waited awhile to reply because I was not sure how to reply. I wish I had some great words of wisdom and advise but I dont. You Have been such a inspiration to me since I started coming here. Your a man of few words who says alot.You will continue to be in my thoughts and prayers.And thank you for helping me and so many others! Hope you have some great moments with your grandkids yet. May God bless you and your family.

Oh Don. I have been thinking of you and that I hadn't seen many posts from you lately. Like others have expressed, you have been a great help to me on this board. And I am so saddened to read this update. May you continue to find comfort, joy, peace and happiness. Please take good care

Sandra

Thanks for your support everyone:

t's like it will be a good hospice, not a bad one. It is like retiring from a second career. I hear they have a good home hospice service here. I intend to go sign up soon and then I will have a lot the care and expectations in place when I need it say 3 or 4 months from now. Right now I feel pretty good except that I am tehtered to the oxygen concentrator.

Don M

Don, certainly not the news you wanted to hear. Long time members here are like good friends you have never met, so we all hurt with this news.

You have beaten many odds before Don, I think hospice may be visiting you for a long time. I am glad you are home with your family.

You are in my thoughts and prayers. Stay well.

Don-

I am sorry to hear it is time for hospice. I hope you have a lot of time yet where you feel good. You have helped many people here with treatment recommendations and you've made a difference in many lives. That's something to be very proud of.

Rochelle

Don,

I have always been so inspired and impressed with the way you have handled your cancer care. You were so involved in what was going on and have made many well thought out and informed decisions over the years. I have no doubt that although this one was a difficult choice you have made the best choice for yourself. I will be praying for you and your family in the months ahead. Enjoy your time without treatment :)

Tammy

((((((((((((((((DON)))))))))))))))) Thank you Don for all of the support that you have given me since I got here three years ago. You were one of the main people who taught me to be assertively aggressive when it comes to my own health care, and to seek second opinions. Thank you so much. My prayers continue.

Carol

Don, you have always been one of my heroes since I've been here. The previous posters have said all I undoubtedly would say as well . You have been an advocate for not only yourself, but all of us, and I am grateful. You have taught us all how to 'do' this the best way we can. Your research, thoughtful decisions, and insightful posts have served all of us so well.

I am sorry to hear this news, for sure. I hope you know that we will all be here for you ~ as you have been for all of us. Many prayers for you, friend.

Kasey