New to Lung Cancer

Kikie

Hello,

I am new to lung cancer and really I don't have lung cancer, its a long story but here's a frugal attempt.

Dx 01/2005 Pancreatic Cancer age 44; given six months; did chemo Taxotere and Gemzar; six month later had pancreras removed 10/2005. Have been fine until 04/2008. scan shows a tumor on left lung .8mm. VATS left wedge section with all clear margins and clear everything, becauase I was a smoker there was a posiblity it was lung cancer. Turned out to be recurrence of Pancreatic cancer. All was good to go. I recovered well, told I need no follow up chemo. I was also told by MD Anderson and Johns Hopkins that I had a very rare type of Adenocarcinoma in that mine was a slow grower and that I would most likely have to have another surgery in 2 to 3 years. Hey, I was fine with this news.

So, here goes. I all of a sudden am not feeling well; dehydrated; salt levels down a bit. Got updated PET scan and THE TUMOR IS STILL THERE AN NOW HAS METZ AND I HAVE PLERUL EFFUSION. I had that drained, about 12 oz is all. It came back with some cancer cells but they said it would not be able to tell if lung or pancreatic. I am of course upset that tumor was missed at surgery and I am upset that surgery will never be an option again for me. But, now I am not so sure this is not lung cancer because of the rate it's metastiziing. Sorry for the spelling. I am not good with all this stuff and I hope that responses will keep me hopefull. I need some hope

Love Kikie

Hi Kikie. What a nightmare you have been through. Potentially 2 kinds of cancer and clear misses in treating it properly. What is the plan now? Are they going to try and confirm the type? And do you know what your treatment plan is?

I hope you get a new treatment plan soon. Hopefully you have already read some of the inspirational survival stories here. There is always hope.

Please tell us more and keep us posted on how you are doing. There are many kind knowledgable people here who will help you in any way they can.

Take care

Sandra

Hi, Kikie:

Yours does sound like a very unusual case. If you haven't already, may I suggest that you visit cancergrace.org (the previous onctalk.com has been folded into GRACE, Global Resource for Advancing Cancer Education). There's a wealth of information there, especially on lung cancer, constantly updated by a Seattle oncologist who is an internationally-recognized expert on lung cancer and who gives high priority to promptly answering questions from people like you and me. A lot of us are "dual citizens" and have the same usernames there as here. Dr. West has probably encountered other situations similar to yours, and while he can't give medical advice tailored specifically to you, he has a knack for laying out all the considerations in a balanced and helpful manner.

Best wishes and Aloha,

Ned