I have missed you all so much!!!

Carleen

I have been off the board for so long, and am trying to catch up on all the news and posts. So much has happened in the past two months that I just don't know where to begin. There is so much good news, but also some news that is just breaking my heart. I feel terrible that I wasn't here to offer support to some people I've truly come to love, who are no longer with us. I just hope they know how much they have meant to me, and changed my life forever.

I have missed everyone so much. I wound up taking an unexpected leave of absense from work for the past two months just because there was so much going on with Keith. In the past two months, we've gone from being told that there was no more options, to searching for a new doctor all over the midwest, going through liver surgery, investigating a trial in Amsterdam, a few set backs and illnesses (mostly dehydration and flu bugs) and now we are working on renewing hope and strength.

The unfortunate thing is that work is the only place I have access to a computer (that is going to change for Christmas, I am buying my husband a laptop). So, I wasn't able to get on board, or even receive my e-mails. I wasn't even expecting to take the leave, so I couldn't give anyone a heads up. I just vanished one day. I can't tell you how much it meant to me to come back and read all the e-mails and posts from you, all the caring and love that still ties me to you, and always will. I feel so much love, it is hard to express how grateful I am for it all.

Keith is doing really well now. We found a new doctor who is actively trying to find something to treat him with. Instead of just working on assumptions, we decided to get a liver biopsy done, which was very hard on Keith because they tried to go in through laproscopy but couldn't find the original lesion and had to open him up to find a deeper set one. But, he is healing and almost back to normal now. The biopsy confirmed the cancer type as A-typical carciniod, which is what we thought it was from the Mayo Clinic, and sort of justifies his lack of response from the chemo, as Atypical doesn't fair well from chemo.

We also found out that the three lesions in his liver turned out to be 1. nothing there, 2. a benign cyst, and 3. atypical carcinoid tumor, which was completely removed in the biopsy process. So, at this time his liver looks to be cancer free. That was the best news we've received in so long. I cried, and for once they were tears of joy.

They still haven't started treating him yet, it's been two 1/2 months, but at least this doctor is entertaining the idea and is looking into clinical trials. We should know by Dec. 23rd what our options are.

Keith is starting to get his hair back and is looking so handsome (as always), and really is starting to feel good again (praise God). He is still relying on a lot of pain meds, but I think that is because he's built up such a large tolerance to them.

We are planning on celebrating Christmas at our house this year with both sides of our families all together, so we have our hands full again, but this time with celebrating and joyous gatherings. Mostly it is my family that is the handful, I have two sisters and a brother, all married and 10 neices (no nephews). When we all get together, it is loud and it is chaos, but I love every second of it. I've been so busy lately that I haven't even started my Christmas decorating or shopping yet. I have a lot of catching up to do.

It just feels so nice to be doing things that feel normal again. Although I hate my job, it feels good to be getting up and going to work again. It is nice having something other than Cancer to think about. I love Christmas and love having that as a new diversion for my mind.

I have missed you all so much, and hopefully after a couple of days of catching up, I will be able to be back in full force.

Thank you, everyone. Sorry this is so long, but I know you all understand.

God Bless,

Carleen

Carleen,

What a wonderful, uplifting post! I have had computer trouble lately and when I got back on the other day after being off for quite a while I was wondering where you were. Sounds like great news for you and Keith! Have a wonderful Christmas.

Doesn't it feel good to do some "normal" things again?!! Howard and I are beginning to feel almost normal again. For so many months of having cancer on your mind 24/7 and looking for answers everytime you get on the internet, it feels really good to be in a very calm period.

It was wonderful hearing your good news! I hope you and Keith have a Merry Christmas and a very Happy New Year. Send us some snow!!

Bonnie and Howard

Guest Karen C.

Carleen,

GORGEOUS photo of you and Keith!

I'm really pumped about his new treatment options. I have to say, I LOVE the doc that went into his liver and found out EXACTLY what was going on in there! I hate going on assumptions, especially assuming the worst and not going any further.

I am so excited that you will have such a good Christmas!

God Bless,

Karen C. (David C's wife - I think he's logged in right now so didn't want to log in as him - I'm at work and he's at home!)

Carleen,

So wonderful to hear from you and thank you so much for sharing such amazing news! Sounds like you have a wonderful doctor on your team now -- he went right in there and got to the root of the issue instead of just going on "most likely it is....".

I think of you often and I wish you both many more Christmas miracles! Enjoy yourselves!!!

ps -- GREAT photo! You guys really are quite the attractive couple! :wink:

Heather

Carleen,

Glad to see you back and hear that Keith had such a positive experience with the new doctor. I hope he isn't too far from you all.

I also hope you find a clinical trial or other viable option hopefully closer than Amsterdam.

I am so happy that you're excited about Christmas, and have a huge family celebration to look forward to.

Don't worry about pain med reduction. I 'm still on pain meds, 'cause that's what it takes to function with the resectioned everything. It's worth it to still be here.

I know more than just myself are relieved to hear from you. We were concerned. At least with Norme she said she'd be likely away for a month or two. Even more exciting is the good news for treatment options.

At any rate, glad you're back.

XOXOX

MaryAnn

Carleen

so glad to see that you are back on and there is much more hope for Keith---so glad about his liver too---

love your new picture that you posted----you two are the most beautiful couple I have ever seen---has anyone ever told you that you look like Nicole Kidman?

am very glad things are looking up for Keith and you and wish you the best for the holidays

regards

Carleen -

Boy how good it is to see YOU and KEITH! And looking mighty well at that!

Sounds like you have things under control - which you had lost for a while - which drove you nuts! (Don't worry, I'm a control freak too! It takes one to know one!)

So glad you're getting some positive things going.............don't disappear on us again!

Hugs and prayers,

SandyS

Carleen,

Glad to see that things are looking up for you and Keith and so happy to see how much better you are feeling....

I have a feeling you guys are going to have a wonderful holiday!!!

Carleen,

It is so good to hear from you! I love the new picture too. :) I appreciate the update, I have been thinking of both you and Keith. I am glad to hear there is renewed hope and the happiness that you and Keith are sharing. I continue to keep you in my prayers. Enjoy the holidays. All my best. Andrea

(((((((((((((((((((CARLEEN)))))))))))))))))))))))))

Its so nice to see you!!! We were all thinking about you. Im so THRILLED that things are so much better - CLEAN LIVER! WOW!!! And Im also so happy you have a great onc that is searching for all the options that are out there!

It sounds like you have wonderful plans for Christmas!! Just so nice to see you back!!

Carleen, I have thought about you and Keith often and am so glad to see you back. Thanks for the update. It sounds promising to me. I love the new picture of you two. We are going to have Christmas at our house also, per request of Lucie. We will have some of the food catered and others will be brought by various people. We are also having a friend come in and do the decorating for us. God's grace. Don

:D Carleen! So good to hear from you! Glad to here you and Keith are doing so well... I still think you would be an excellent writter your posts always speak to me and my heart...

Many blessings to you and Keith this holiday season and may you always enjoy each and every day together!

Laurie

Carleen, let me begin by telling you that the picture of you and Keith is absolutly beautiful. What a nice looking couple you are!!! And you look very much in love, too.

I am so glad to see your post, you have been greatly missed, as you can see by the great number of hits and responses your post has gotten. I am also glad that you took a break from work, a much needed one, and that you are enjoying this holiday season!!! What type of clinical trials are you looking into? I have contacted Yale University Medical Center regarding the transimmunization trial they are looking to start up. I spoke with a spokeswoman for the hospital and was told to fax (but I had to mail) my fathers medical records to them-so they may be reviewed. I know it is a long shot (I believe they are only doing a trial on about 20 lung cancer patients-to start), but I HAD TO TRY, or else wonder "what if"-and that would be torture.

If you (or anyone else here) would like more info as to whom to contact, just let me know...who knows, maybe the more people that show and INTEREST AND DESIRE to give this thing a try-the more they will realize how necessary it is-and they will include more people.

I wish you and Keith the best of luck and hope that you truly enjoy this holiday season-with your families (sounds like a huge one!). Take care, my friend, Deb