Getting to Know You - Tuesday, November 11th

Ann

My next door neighbor is a Vet and I walked over and thanked him this morning for all the time he gave to the USA!!! He seemed surprised and even had a tear or two run down his cheek.

My next door neighbor is a vet, too. I call him "Dad"... Lots of vets from the local area, small town life leads to enlistment for the kids that can't afford college and don't want to stay on the farm.

No special festivities planned, and he's retired so it's always a day off for him!

Thank you to all those who protect and serve, and for the ultimate sacrifice many have made, whatever their rationale.

I just thank myself cause Im a Vet!! call my folks!! They are vets and already put fresh flowers and flags on Debs Grave caause shes a vet too!! The men are navy adn the Ladies in my Family are Air Force! Also lost 2 Uncles in WW II one in pacific and one in Europe! D-Day If i remember.

I used to go to Ontario to spend Remembrance Day with my Dad's best friend. They met when my father got off the train in Hamilton looking to sign up with the Royal Canadian Air Force prior to Pearl Harbor. He asked Danny for directions and by the end of the day they were both enlisted and they were life-long best friends. Danny introduced my Dad to Mum that very night. Dad died many years ago, so my Veteran's day was spent honoring him and all the other vets, and doing that by going back to where Dad enlisted and celebrating with a bunch of RCAF vets. Danny died a few years ago and I find this day very hard without him.

I will also email my brothers, a Viet Nam era Army vet, and a Viet Nam Navy vet.

Both my parents were vets. They met in the Air Force. Mom was booted out because she "fraternized" with an officer. The good news is she was honorably discharged and she went on to continue her service to our country as an officer's wife. LOL

We had a big do on Sunday at church and also had a school-wide ceremony today honoring all the veterans from our church today. The kids wrote thank you letters, which were distributed in gift bags for each veteran. All in all, a wonderful day.