What grief has taught me - as it applies to today

Nick C

So my grandmother (father's mother) passed away last night.

I am so sorry for my dad my aunt and my uncle. Because this is their mother. "She lived a good life" "She's better off" " well she was 94" and "you were lucky to have her as long as you did" do not apply.

It was their mom.

So today when I see them, I'll just say, "I know you are sad...it's you mom."

At least we have that benefit...kinda knowing what to say. Don't we?

Nick,

So sorry for your family's loss. When Mom was going through her fight I told my siblings that I realized something. I realized that, now, when other people tell us they know someone going through cancer or whatever it may be I really feel for them from a deeper, different place. My heart breaks for them because I know what it is like to feel those feelings. Not that I didn't truely feel for other people when they were going through things, I did. It is just different now. I guess it is kind of a gift that we can offer our understanding.

Nick, I'm so sorry about your grandmother. It seems such a short time since your mother passed, and you and your family have to suffer another loss so soon. Yes, you are right. Knowing what to say is a lesson hard learned, but your father and aunt and uncle will be the beneficiary.

Peace to you and your family, Judy in Key West

Nick....so very sorry for your loss. When it comes to losing someone we love, age never makes a difference, as we never have them with us long enough. I'm keeping you and your family in my thoughts and prayers.