GTKY: The Worst Turkey Dinner EVER

Snowflake

Anyone have a huge dinner planned and not have a "Martha Stewart-perfect" bird?

I remember being asked to bake one of the many turkeys for a Thanksgiving party by my ex-husband's new commanding officer, I didn't think it would be too tough, having experience in the kitchen and all. Well, I knew not to buy a frozen turkey THE DAY BEFORE you want to cook it!

I floated that sucker in warm water, baked it longer than the instructions called for and STILL couldn't get it cooked all the way through! Embarrassing, but no one complained...especially when Santa came with gifts after dinner.

I remember the first year we were married. My husband invited a couple of friends in the Navy who didn't have family nearby. The turkey was fine, and the stuffing and mashed potatoes etc. But we sat down to eat and realized--no gravy for the turkey, stuffing and mashed potatoes. It was, I believe, a Freudian slip because we discovered at a later date, neither of us knew how to make gravy. Now we know how.

Judy in Key West

First Tday. I was 19 and 8 1/2 months pregnant. Husbands family coming for dinner. This is back in the age when you could stuff and turkey the night before.

Husband came home from work to find me in tears. 'We have a virgin turkey" I cried. There was no way I could stuff that bird with the cavity hole the size of my thumb.

Yep, didn't know that you had to unhook the legs.

I love reading these stories. Great post Becky Snowflake!!!

I actually have two Thanksgiving tales of horror. Dennis and I were spending our first Thanksgiving together. I was pregnant and kept getting a little ill every time I came into close range with that turkey but I was determined to make this the best Thanksgiving ever. Dennis loved my "country cooking" and had invited several friends over for dinner. I knew that my mom had always taken a bag out of the turkey....1 bag. But, I didn't know there were two. So, we put this beautiful, perfectly roasted turkey on the table and everyone was oohing and aahing and complimenting. Then, Dennis began the carving, only to find an intact bag of innards inside the bird. I was embarassed but everyone loved the turkey and ate like crazy.

A few years later, I had a beautiful turkey cooked. I sat it on the table while I finished dishing up the side dishes. Well, my son's siamese cat who was always full of it, grabbed the turkey off the platter and onto the floor. Needless to say....it's good my gang liked vegetables...lol!

Great stories !!!

Mine is similar to Ann's. We were invited over to my Nephew's a couple year's ago for Christmas dinner. Betty Crocker she was not. She didn't remove the bag from the turkey. They have since divorced and my nephew has gained 30 lbs. LOL

Yeah, about marthe Stewart! Shes buried in my backyard!! I would love to just have a KFC meal and Stove top stuffin!!! or Boston market roasted chicken!!!

JB- Here's my helpful hint: Measure the oil to account for the turkey being dropped in-- you don't want the hot oil to go over the side of the pot once the bird is placed in the oil -- AND keep it away from the house. My FIL was great at turkey frying mistakes. :shock:

When I was a kid we went to my aunts for Thanksgiving and she served the turkey undercooked. After that when something came up about my aunt my dad would always say "what do you expect from someone that serves raw turkey!"

Mine is really not too disastrous... The first time I decided to have thanksgiving I was pregnant, and my due date wasnt until after.. so I thought, I can do this, no problem... well I ended up having Anna on Monday but had bought everything for Thanksgiving, so decided to go ahead with it anyway... Thanks goodness my Dad was there, he took over the cooking cause I was soooo exausted.

Mine is not really disaterous..just humorous.

Our family planned to visit one of my sisters for Thanksgiving Dinner. Beverly was responsible for the turkey(even though she had never baked one). The rest of us were all bringing something or cooking it at my sisters house. Well, Beverly was known for being a bit "tight" with her money....so when my sister Dianne and I started carving the turkey(which had been baked in a bag) we were shocked at how skinny this turkey was. We must have both tried for 30 minutes or so to get as much meat off as we could(we have a large family). We finished up one side and turned it over to see that we had been carving the back of the turkey. Thankfully, there was plenty of meat left to get. She had baked it breast side down and we didn't know any better..we just thought she had bought a cheap bird. We laughed for quite awhile about that one.