Look Guys !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rick

Count me in.

Also, I have many ideas for fund raising - am currently involved with raising funds for children's causes and ALS. But Lung Cancer has become my charity of choice and I am selfish in wanting to find a cure.

We need to be in their face. We need to get more members here. We need to try and organize (maybe a small S B Komen type) And, yes Rick, we need money.

But let's start. An email and letter campaign both locally and nationally.

You wonderful writers, if you could compose a letter where we can just change the personal data would help us writing impaired people.

Let's get rolling.

Ginny

Looks like a CRUSADE here !!!

I'm difinitely in!!! :):) I do lots a writing anyway!! Ya just never know!! :)

I gotta say I think the real story about lung cancer is in this group!!! Not so much but what were saying but more about what were doing for each other and the new people that are joinin up every day now, :) There's really a cool thing going on here that you really don't see anywhere else.

It's a thought, I would'nt be surprised if someone did'nt come along and notice us as a group!! Just good to be online today!!

God bless us all

Bobmc- NSCLC-stageIIB- left pneumonectomy- 5/2/01

" absolutely insist on enjoying life today!"

I definitely agree with the "hook" being this group and how we have all met up. It would be, at the very least, a personal interest story if we get the right ears..or eyes! Its more than just "another sick person's story".

No matter what we all send, our own words or a form letter, the fact that we are all together and sending SOMETHING, will be amazing!! Whoever reads the emails for these places will have to take notice when there are 30, 40, 50 emails or more about lung cancer on the same day.

What a great start!!!

Rick has already increased the size of the forum icon on the main page, That was quick, I noticed it this morning. I was wondering if we are going to post this info in the general forum, with the additional email addresses Rick was going to supply.

Thanks for everything Rick

Cary

Guest cbysea1

Hi Rick,

Sounds like a good idea.

I was diagnosed with Lung Cancer Nov.19/03.

Now that the shock is about gone and the tears have stopped , I need to re-direct some of this frustration and anger in a positive direction.

I have been quitting smoking off and on for 3 /4 years.

I have vented my frustration with my nicotine addiction in many an email to a particular cigarette company.

Your plan is much more realistic and has much more personal meaning for me.

I'm in,

Cheryl

Dx'ed Nov.19/03 with Limited SCLC and Squamous 3rd B stage.

Had 3 days of Chemo and 1 week of radiation in a 5 week/off 2weeks then 2 more weeks.

This Monday brings both Chemo and radiation together for 3 days. First time with that combo . :shock:

'>http://groups.msn.com/CherylsGardens/christmas2003.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=566

Rickey: We need to get this on the main site...if you go to Google and put in LC survivors you get to our site. So, we need to have the main page scream out donations and activism. Can you do that? Also, if everyone would email me at estrea@lungcancersurvivors.org so I have your email addresses, we can talk to each other as a group directly. We have the nucleus of a group of activists here. We need to get organized, have a plan, etc. etc.

When I have sent out mass emails asking for help, I get people saying they will do things. But there is no vision, no plan. We need to have leadership with directors and committees the way the big boys do it. I had started to do that (it was always my goal to make this group a force to be reckoned with) but now that my daughter's diagnosis has turned my life upside down, I can't do squat (she is autistic). HELP!!!!! Let's get organized.

Rickey, by the way, how can we optimize search engines so that we can pop up on other lung cancer searches, e.g. activism, support, hope, etc.?

You bet I will!!! I got your message but have been out since the death of my Grandma and my sons flu.. Lets get together tomorrow, just give me a ring at work and I will be here all day..

I will add it asap.

Thanks

Rick

• 2 weeks later...

Rick,

Where I am living, Canada, there is all those posters for

Breast Cancer and FREE mammo for women from 49 to 69 years

old. (I was too old) so it did not worked for me, so was refused

and I had cancer.....went to court in November, Hope to win.

But why not have the same thing done for Lung cancer, big posters paid

by the Health Dept. that include an X-ray and more for everybody at

their (OBLIGED) annual check up.

I remenber when I was younger, that everybody was scare of TB and we

were obliged to have an X-ray each year, so why not the same for Lung

cancer.

If the government can open his eyes, people that are healthy works and

pay taxes, those that are sick, cost money......

They have to be shaken in seeing that they put their money in the wrong

basket.

Wants to help, but how.

My husband was refused so many times an X-ray that it came to be a joke

till he got lung cancer and now he is dead...

I am fighting on this side of the border but find that people cringe away

when you are mentionning LUNG cancer, but are all ears when it is any

other kind of cancer.

There is a stigma on Lung cancer that should not exist, we all know that

but we are yelling in deaf ears.

Let me know if I can help.

J.C.

You guys have been revving me up for awhile. I think local and national is the key. Locally, we may able to concentrate more efforts to put more pressure on the media which would be much more susceptible(?). Where are concentrated members on site? Can we run a report? Maybe we can try and identify those folks within a city or regional area who can concentrate their efforts and hook them up???? Just thinking out loud. In addition, if we all, on a weekly basis email the other national sites, perhaps there will be just enough pressure.

I work for a City government and will talk to our Wellness Coordinator about putting out some kind of info in regards to early screening for lung cancer for our employees (it would be a start). We don't really do health movements for our citizens (county) but our Wellness Program has set the standard locally for other employers. We have health fairs that screen for many ailments (including skin cancer, hep c, cholesterol, etc).

Anyone know anyone in the Rotary Club? They went out and innoculated against smallpox to foreign countries.

WE'VE GOT ALL THE ANSWERS WE NEED IN THIS ROOM. WE JUST NEED TO GET ORGANIZED!!!! As with so many others, I am so overwhelmed. Where do we start?

I'm willing to step up some place. Obviously there are many who have already, and it sounds like others are ready too. Who wants to do what?

I do know that this disease is draining. On one side there's activism and on the other getting by day by day. With all the folks in the room, we should be able to compliment and help each other. What do you think?

I'm with Rick, too many good people have been lost.

I've been off-line but promise to be back daily.

I think Cary has the right idea. If people think they can't get lung cancer or don't know anyone that has it they probably won't care TOO much.

Here is my 1 1/2 cents:

I think we really need to run organization like a real corporation.

The by-laws, articles of corporation should be posted along with the mission statement.

We need a decent accounting firm. I trust the people who run this and who have set up the non-profit, but a lot of strangers won't. There are also alot of IRS regulation for non-profits and forms that must be filled out

We need to set and prioritize the 2004, 2005 and longer term goals

We probably need at least two commitees (sp?)

1) for fund raising (comercial and private inviduals)

donations need to be tracked for the IRS and also for future solicitations

2) for determinine allocation of the funds and setting grants

3) maybe we could also have a commitee looking for grants. My wife reviews federal grants.

The Lance Armstrong Foundation has a group called "Project Peloton"

www.laf.org

I think it is GREAT that people are doing these small fund raisers (CD, pictures, etc). It may help to make sure everything is "Branded" as in using the same slogans, graphics, etc.

http://www.businessweek.com/2000/00_15/b3676162.htm

http://foundationinabox.org/guide

http://www.foundationsource.com/whowese ... iduals.asp

I also think there should be names contact info for volunteers

Assignments need to be assigned and well defined

Mandatory monthly/bi-monthly meetings should be held for each of the

committees. Each meeting needs an agenda and action item list

There is a ton of work. BTW I will volunteer to help with time and/or money.

I am going to auction my Lance Armstrong book I have with his signature on ebay and donate the money. I am just not sure if I should wait since I think he will probably win a record number 6.

Let me know what people think

I think it would help with local chapters, but how can we organize under the same organization or should we.

Does it make more sense to do this as a grass roots effort or try to

run as a national organization?

I agree there are too many indians, how should this problem be addressed?

Maybe the first thing to do is start a list with contact information for all the people who are willing to volunteer and how much time they can commit.

Then figure out what different projects should be done. Then make assignments.

I think a lot of people are willing to help. I would like to help, but have never been given a clear cut assignment or project.