State Rep. Bill Grant Diagnosed with Rare Lung Cancer

Christine

http://www.tri-cityherald.com/kennewick ... 07625.html

State Rep. Bill Grant, D-Walla Walla, has been diagnosed with a rare form of lung cancer, he announced Friday.

Grant was unavailable for comment Friday and did not indicate in a statement if the diagnosis changes his plans for the upcoming Legislative session or the rest of his term.

The 71-year-old Walla Walla native was re-elected last month to serve the 16th Legislative District, which covers portions of Benton and Franklin counties -- including east Kennewick and all of Pasco -- and all of Walla Walla and Columbia counties.

Grant has served for 22 years.

The fourth-generation wheat farmer was diagnosed with cancer in Seattle after his doctor recommended he travel there for a lung biopsy, his statement said.

Grant did not specify what kind of lung cancer he has, but said the Seattle oncologist sees only a few cases a year of the rare cancer.

"Although these are not the results I had hoped for, the good news is I have been released from the hospital and am heading home to discuss my treatment options," he said. "I thank you for all your concerns and would appreciate your positive thoughts and prayers directed my way.