New to site

PEGB

Hi everyone. My name is Peg and my husband and I just found out today that his sclc is back. I am having a very hard time finding any optimism from anyone. He is 58 years old and the tumor is limited to his right lung, no mets. Does anyone know anything about the Cancer Centers of America? From my point of view this does not have to be a death sentence but I am not getting that from anyone else. This is the first time I have ever done anything like this and I am doing it as much for myself as for him. I guess I just need some encouraging news or info. I have read that sometimes surgical intervention is an option with sclc if the tumor is limited. Am I wrong to be thinking this is a battle we can win? If anyone can tell me anything I would be grateful. Well wishes to all.... Peg

Hi Peg and welcome. Im so sorry about the return of your husbands cancer. However there are some encourging sclc stories here for you. I would encourage you to click on the message board and go down and click on the sclc category and read the post by Don.I know your world must seem like it has been turned upside down right now but Im glad you found this place and I hope you find the answers and support you are looking for. My prayers go out for you and your husband.Dont lose hope!!

I am new to this site myself, having NSCLC for the second time. I do not know very much about sclc, but I did want to tell you that I know someone who had oat cell (which I believe is a type of small cell) in 1990. Was staged 111b, inoperable. She had extensive chemo and radiation, very aggressive, and is still cancer free after 18 years.

There is so much good information here, and so many knowledgeable and caring people, and the one thing I've noticed over and over is the advice to get second, third or even fourth opinions if need be.

Diane

Hi, Peg. I'm sorry you had need to join us, but welcome.

May I suggest that you visit cancergrace.org (GRACE — Global Resource for Advancing Cancer Education). There's a wealth of information on the site, primarily on lung cancer, constantly updated by a Seattle oncologist who is an internationally-recognized expert on lung cancer and who gives high priority to promptly answering questions from people like you and me. A lot of us are "dual citizens" and have the same usernames there as here. The GRACE Q&A forum on SCLC is:

http://cancergrace.org/forums/index.php?board=44.0

After you've read a few of the posts, I believe you'll be impressed and perhaps even amazed at the quality of the resource Dr. West is providing. Of course he can't give actual medical advice to someone who's not his patient, but his responses lay out the various considerations and options of an issue in a way that is thorough, balanced, and very helpful. If you choose to post a question for him, you might give a bit more detail on your husband's situation and what treatment he received previously.

Best wishes and Aloha,

Ned

Welcome. I agree with above , Dr. West is wonderful and so good about answering questions. I belong to a face to face lung cancer support group here in St. Paul, Mn and we have a women who is a long term survivor of SCLC who was not staged as limited. Keep us posted.

Donna G

Welcome to the site Peg. I am so sorry to hear of your husband's reoccurrence. That must have been devastating and I hope you have got through that awful period and are back to fighting mode. There is a SCLC forum here where I am sure you will find some info. And much fewer posts meaning to me hopefully that there are many survivors out there without the need to be here. My wishes for an effective treatment plan. Please keep us posted on how you and your husband are doing.

Sandra

Hi Peg. Welcome aboard. Sorry you have to be here but there are so many positive people and hopeful stories here. Keep us posted on his treatment plan so people can offer exprience with them. And Dr West is great for double checking what your husband's onc is suggesting. I certainly will confirm that from where I and many on this site are standing, it certainly is not a death sentence.

Judy in Key West

Welcome!

I know two woman personally that are long term survivors of sclc. One was diagnosed extensive with mets to her live, the other limited. They are 7 and 8 year survivors.

I have my fingers crossed that your husband will be able to celebrate his survivorship too.

Wendy

I just wanted to say Thank you to each and every one of you for your words of support and well wishes. My husband had to have a chest tube put in over the weekend ,they drained 4 liters of fluid from his right lung on Saturday morning. Needless to say he is breathing a whole lot better now. The tube came out this am after putting out only 5 ml over the last 24 hours. YEAH! We are both very optimistic and ready to fight this. He has also been reading your posts and your words of encouragement mean more than I can say. We meet with his Onc. tomorrow to come up with a plan. We will keep writing and reading and wish everyone a very happy and peaceful holiday. Thank you all, Peg

Hi Peg. Good to hear he got all that fluid drained. I can attest to how much better he will feel although it will take a bit of time. He beat me by 1 litre! Yes, please do keep us posted on what the plan is after your visit with med onc tomorrow. Best wishes

Sandra

ps My fluid has never returned although I was told there was a risk that it would.