Saturday's Air

Bruce u

Still dark here but it is chilly and clear.

I'm hoping that everyone who is traveling for the holidays, get to their destination and back safely. Also anyone without power gets it restored soon.

It's been said that it is about 27 but feels like 14 with the windchill. We have a wind chill advisory for tonight. It will get to about 20 below with the wind chill. BRRRR!!!!

A word about Tom. Well actually several words.

We get to reduce the prednisone to 40mg a day but he has to make an appt with the Pulm to talk about the O2. He did not use his O2 yesterday morning because he wanted to see where he was at without. The nurse hooked him up and told him to take a few deep breaths because if the number didn't go up then he had to put his O2 back on. We were able to get it to 93!! They were happy with that. They say he is still a bit wheezie and he needs to finish out the antibiotics and goes back on 1/9/09 for a recheck.

He is still using the O2 at home but he will take his portable with when we go out and use as necessary.

Denise

good Saturday morning all. It is getting colder!!! Minus 10 celsius now with a wind chill and snow fall warning on top of that. Everyday I just can't believe that this weather is continuing. And rest assured that most folks who live here, many who moved here for the mild weather, are truly not impressed. Oh well, that means less drivers on the road when I am out there and shorter lines ups in the stores.

That is very promising re Tom's need for oxygen Denise. I am sure he is thinking that he doesn't want to get stuck on being dependent on the stuff...cause I have a stubborn brain too and that is what mine would be telling me.

Well I will be seeing what I can do about my remaining xmas prep today....I am way way way behind where I have been at in other years because I have never been a leave it to the last minute kind of person. Being away, getting sick, trying to work and moving much slower than I used to has put me in this position. But I am just taking deep breaths and telling myself it will all happen. And I've got a few extra kids kicking about for sleepovers etc. but that is just normal around my house. At their age I pretty much just need to feed them and they keep themselves occupied.

Stay warm everyone...and safe travels.

Sandra

Nothing new here in Minnesota. We are having a snow storm, it continues to be cold, 16 degrees. The wind chill is bad, minus 2. Just think tomorrow it will be officially winter!

Donna G

Nothing new here in Minnesota. We are having a snow storm, it continues to be cold, 16 degrees. The wind chill is bad, minus 2. Just think tomorrow it will be officially winter!

Donna G

Here's a bit of humor about how unaccustomed we are to this cold spell:

News Flash:

Chilled Vancouver commuters faced their second day of winter hell today, as an additional ¼ centimetre (approx ⅛") of the peculiar white stuff fell, bringing the Lower Mainland to its knees and causing millions of dollars worth of damage to the marijuana crops. Scientists suspect that the substance is some form of frozen water particles and experts from Saskatchewan are being flown in. With temperatures dipping to the almost but not quite near zero mark, Vancouverites were warned to double insulate their lattes before venturing out.

Vancouver police recommended that people stay inside except for emergencies, such as running out of espresso or biscotti to see them through Vancouver's most terrible storm to date. The local Canadian Tire reported that they had completely sold out of fur-lined sandals. Drivers were cautioned to put their convertible tops up, and several have been shocked to learn that their SUV's actually have four wheel drive, although most have no idea how to use it.

Weary commuters faced soggy sushi, and the threat of frozen breast implants. Although Dr. Patricia Daly, Chief Medical Health Officer of the Vancouver Coastal Health Authority, reassured everyone that most breast implants were perfectly safe to 25 below, down-filled bras are flying off the shelves at Mountain Equipment Co-op.

"The government has to do something," snarled an angry Trevor Warburton. "I didn't pay $540,000 for my one bedroom condo so I could sit around and be treated like someone from Toronto."

Oh Bruce, the damage to the marajuana crop wasn't a hint huh? Hey I tried to copy and past a youtube link but it wouldn't work. It was so funny, it was called Leroy the Redneck Reindeer but I can't remember the name of the guy singing it.

I'm really late coming in. Traveling to the mainland and back this close to Christmas is crazy. But every time you leave the house and come back no matter if you just go to town, you bring in "stuff." My house is always a wreck.

Oh well, the guys are going fishing tomorrow so maybe I'll get it together.

Have a great evening everyone.

Judy in Key West

Well I am from Saskatchewan (as Bruce well knows) and am an expert of many things winter. With the noteable exceptions of breast implants and down filled bras!

The newsflash isn't that far off though...the natives here are restless, 20 cm of snow and lots of wind are forecast for tonight. The grocery store was just nuts with people stocking up before it starts!

I on the other hand just love the excitement of a good storm. Add a hot tub and a glass of wine (I did not learn the hot tub in the winter thing in Saskatchewan) and I am in winter heaven!