Need Info or experiences about ALIMTA ASAP!!!

Nurit

My 58 year old mom has stage 4 lung cancer. She was diagnosed in April 2008. At the time she was given 2 month to live. She had 5 radiation treatments that shrank the 5 cm tumour in her left lung. Then she was put on chemo carbo- gem which worked until Nov 08. Her doc said she should take a break from chemo.

Cancer got worse= found out it spread to bones, stomach and worse in the lungs.

Put on Tarceva for 2 weeks and that made things worse.

Now the doc wants to put her on Alimta but I have a bad feeling about it. He says the side effects and tolerance is better than taxotere.

My mom is very weak Hemo is 100 Platelet is 25 and White blood cells are 3.5.

Please give me some advice if u know anything about taxotere or Alimta

nuritmosko@hotmail.com

Hi Nurit. I am sorry to hear about your mom and your need to be here. For most patients, Alimta can be quite tolerable, especially when compared to other drugs. For myself though, it kicked me big time. Took me down for days...very tired, etc. But then I would bounce back. I am praying that it is tolerable for your mom and even more so that it has a positive effect. Take care and keep us posted

Sandra

Hi, Nurit. I was diagnosed the same time as your mom. I had 8 cycles of Carbo/Taxol/Avastin with about a 40% response then progressed on Alimta, had radiation therapy for painful lesions in my spine and had my first Alimta last Monday. Had to have Neupogen today for a low absolute neutrophil count but I'm still at work, still helping the kids with their homework and didn't feel nearly as awful during the days after the Alimta as I did after Carbo/Taxol/Avastin. I hope your mother tolerates it as well.