Scan Results

Patti B

Hi All-

I had a scan yesterday with results today. I had not posted that I was having it because I have been so AWOL lately and felt it wasn't right to "reappear" to whine about my scan. Besides, I knew in my heart it was going to be a bad one. I have been coughing SO bad and when I get up in the morning, I go through about twenty minutes of barely being able to breathe. All I can get are little "sips" of air - its terrifying!!! I sit there with my inhaler and I have to tell you, its the scariest feeling in the world. This happens whenever I go from a laying down position ( well, I sleep propped up) to a standing position. And going up and down the steps does the same thing to me. So what could this be other than progression??? So after many meltdowns, I went to the Clinic today not only for chemo but to see the doc.

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

OMG!!!! Can you beleive that my scan as UNCHANGED from the last one??? I pert near fell off my chair!! How can I feel like this and not have progression????? Not that I am complaining, mind you but this one blew me away!! My onc feels like there is something else going on that is causing the SOB - after all, as he said, you don't find lung cancer in healthy lungs. It can be emplysema or it could have to do with the horrible sinus drainage that I am having that accumulates in the back of your throat all night long and then when you get up, down your throat it goes. He said the body automatically starts coughing and gagging and being SOB would occir. So he gave me some other sinus medicine to try.

Now the bad news is is that my bone met in my hip is still there - obviously the radiation didn't work. All that wretched pain for nothing!!! He started me back on Zometa and is going to wait until my next scan to see if it is getting bigger or not. He really doesn't want me going through radiation again because then he will have to stop the chemo.

So tonight I will sleep much better than I have in a long time - just hope when I get up in the morning it goes a little easier on me!!

Hugs to you all - Patti B.

((((Patti))))

I told you so!! lol

I am so glad that there is no change on the lungs but so angry for you that the radiation didn't work for that hip met. Keep your chin up my dear friend, there are options open for that little bugger!

I am sure you will sleep much better tonight and so will I now!!!

Lots of hugs and love!!

Chris

Oh my friend, Patty!!! I SO understand the need to breathe. Those 'sips' of air I so understand. I am so happy and then, like you, have cause to be concerned. I have had some struggle for those sips ~ like you. I'm so glad that the BIG picture seems to be positive. And don't you EVER worry about whining or being AWOL. We are here for you. I'm sending the BEST I've got your way.

Kasey

Patti!!!! You scared the beegeezus out of me!!! I am so happy that there is no progression but sad that your hip mert is still there. I hope you find a way to get some relief from that. And we will all sleep a little easier tonight knowing the good news.

Denise

Hi Patti. Well I am sorry to hear you are still having such a tough time of it. But boy I sure would have liked to have been in the doc's office with you and witnessed the expression on your face. But mostly to celebrate your good news with you. A big PHEW!!! Congrats to you my friend. Now let's get the other stuff looked after.

Fondly,

Sandra

Oh Patti, I'm so relieved. You scared the jeebies out of me too. Sorry the radiation didn't work but you need to keep the chemo going right. You sure did teach us all a lesson about jumping to conclusions. The only time I got really scared lately was when my allergies were really acting up. It's so easy to think the worst when you have any kind of respiratory issue.

Hope you sleep and have a tolerably pain-free weekend.

Judy in Key West

Well Patti !!!

I know how concerned you were over this scan. I am so very happy for you that the news was alot better than you expected. You enjoy tonight and sleep tight. Then get up in the morning with that new positive energy and deal with this hip met.

I am still not happy with you for not wanting to come here for support. Because you have not been onsite alot because you were dealing with your own battle is not a good enough reason. You have been here to support and encourage the rest of us all along. So I think everyone should go to the bar with you and you're paying. LOL Take care sweetie.

Hi Pattie,

Its amazing what the mind can conjure up when things like that pop up. Most of the time it is not what we imagine. I am really glad for your good news there. I could see behind the words how relieved you are!

I hope the treatment for the hip works and takes care of that met. Keep us posted and I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Maryanne :wink:

Hi Patti. That's incredibly wonderful news about your scan results! It's so easy to get hysterical at every deviation from the norm -- and so nice to learn it's unrelated to the Big Issue.

Re the hip, how long has it been since you finished the rx treatments? I had radiation to my hip and a vertebra -- the vertebra felt fine halfway through (14 treatments in all), while the hip didn't feel any better till several weeks after the radiation was over. Maybe hips are just stubborn. Hope that's your situation.

Btw, while I was having hip pain, the best pain med for me was ibuprofen, 800 mg as needed (which was up to 4 times/day). If you take it, be sure to take famotidine with it so you don't hurt your stomach. (You can get 800 mg pills by prescription -- but they're huge and I much prefer taking 4 of the OTC 200 mg pills.)

Be well.

Ellen

Patti ... as I was reading your post I could just picture you struggling to take a breath and it took my breath away. I can't even imagine how terrifying that feeling must be. I certainly was not expecting to read the good news that your scan is unchanged ... but wow, what good news! Yep, the bone met is obviously a pesky one and just know that I am praying hard that the Zometa does the trick.

I hope you had a good sleep last night and woke up breathing a little easier. I don't know about your part of the world but we have some nasty lung infections going on here which have been causing excessive coughing and SOB lasting up to a month or more ... many having to get a prescription to clear. Hope your symptoms go away quick ... whatever the reason!

Warm wishes,

Linda

Been peeking on here, hoping you would post.

Glad to hear that you are stable, but sorry about the Met still being there. Blasted @#$#$@#@# thing.

Is there another type of inhaler they can try for you, maybe?

Thinking of you every day.

Love,

Nova

Patti - I am so sorry I am late with my congratulations (have been a bit AWOL myself lately)

but I am so so so happy for you!!! I know you were so worried about these scans and I am so relieved there is no progression!!!

I think about you and pray for you every day

Janet