Survivor for 8 1/2 yesrs

cutie66119

Hi My name is Joanne. I live in Pa. I was diagnosted with Stage 3A NSCLC in April of 2000. When I was diagnost I was the 9th patient that had a petscan at Robert Wood Johnson Medical Center. The bone scan I had showed that there was 2 spots outside the lungs. So I did not have surgery. I am on a protocol with 359 other people. The national cancer institute decided what treatment I got. One was 7 weeks of chemo and radiation. The second was 2 chemo treatments of heavy doses of chemo and then the 7 weeks of chemo and readiation. When I got # 2. It was hard but after the 2 doses of chemo my tumor shrunk 80 %. It took my Oncologist 6 years to say I was cured. The Radiation Oncologist told me I was cured after 1 year because it did not come back.

Welcome Joanne! We are always so glad to greet new folks with such an incredible story of hope. I, too, live in PA with quite a story of my own. I hope to one day be able to post as many years as you have ~ I'm only up to 4-1/2.

Thanks for posting for all those just beginning this journey who are looking for inspiration to keep them going. We'd love to hear more and 'see' you stick around.

Kasey

Congratulations Joanne !!! Thank you so much for posting your incredible story. As Kasey said, success stories are really helpful for new members. For someone who has just received a diagnosis of lung cancer, it provides such hope to read a story such as your's.

Welcome Joanne. Like the others have said, we really love to have survivors such as yourself onboard. We look forward to hearing more about your journey. Hope you will stay around and be a symbol of hope and inspiration for those of us still in the early stages of our battle.

Judy in Key West

Welcome Joanne. Glad you found us. Your story will give others hope! I had to have radiation and chemo to shrink a tumor to make it operable. The initial biopsy had said "adenocarcinoma , possibly squamous cell" After I had surgery I asked " well which was it?" The doctor said i don't know , the only thing left was scar tissue! I bet thats all you have left too!

Keep us posted.

Donna G