Living in Michigan

Snowflake

1. You've never met any celebrities.

2. "Vacation" means going to Cedar Point.

3. At least 1 member of your family disowns you the week of the Michigan/Michigan State game.

4. Half the change in your pocket is Canadian..... eh!

5. You drive 86 mph on the highway and pass on the right.

6. Your idea of a traffic jam is 40 cars waiting to pass an orange barrel.

7. You know how to play (and pronounce) Euchre.

8. It's easy to get VERNORS Ginger Ale, Koegel's hot dogs, Sanders Hot Fudge sauce, AND Faygo Pop.

9. You know how to pronounce "Mackinac."

10. You've had to switch on the "heat" and the "A/C" on the same day.

11. You bake with SODA and drink some POP.

12. The movie "Escanaba in Da Moonlight" wasn't funny. You consider it a documentary.

13. Your little league game was snowed out.

14. The word "thumb" has geographical, rather than anatomical, significance.

15. You show people where you grew up by pointing to a spot on your right hand.

16. Traveling coast-to-coast means driving from Port Huron to Muskegon.

17. You measure distance in minutes.

18. When giving directions, you refer to "A Michigan Left."

19. You know that Kalamazoo not only exists, but isn't that far from Hell.

20. Your year has 2 seasons: Winter and Construction.

21. Home Depot on any Saturday is busier than toy stores at Christmas.

22. You know when it has rained because of the smell of worms.

23. Owning a Japanese car was a hangin' offense in your hometown.

24. You believe that "down south" means Toledo.

Alas, MaryAnn...I must confess, I'm really not sure on that "Michigan left" - I'm a transplant since '83 (removed a few times for service relocations), not a native. The rest (ESPECIALLY the road construction references) I understood and agree with - that orange barrel is our state flower, after all! :wink:

Ry, DavidA - can YOU fill in what a "Michigan left" is all about?

AS an ofishal memeber of the Michigan well above average intelligance league, I'm not allowed to disvulge such critical information as too what a Michigan left turn is, if you have ever had to do it you wouldn't forget it, it is just about the coolest invention since TV dinners, or if you all send me like monetarty stuff I might be able to say.

• 1 month later...

Yes on the michigan left turn on red, if it's not red it's allowed, if it's red don't slow down just run out there and turn, if there is an orange barrel you just knock it over and keep on going. So cool to see all of (TRUE) comments about Michigan here. Lived in the Ann Arbor area all of my life. Now being treated for lung cancer here. Left lung removed Nov-25-2002, now mostly back to a normal life and not enjoying the doctors here.

Now being a life long Michigan resident(won't talk about the year I was in Dallas, hear that Dallas PD). I feel it is my obligation to inform you, yeas there maybe a Micihgan left turn, and the Michigan goodbye I've seen happen too, but under strictest confidence we really aren't allowed to devulge these things(the ones of us that know about it), with out proper bribing(just kidding) or a healthy donation to our wonderfull site!

I know you all understand!

Okay.....ANOTHER fund raising activity. #1. Paying for casts of Bobmc's body parts. #2. Paying to hear stories from David C.'s youth. #3. Paying to learn the truth about Michigan and Michiganders by Michigan Authority David A.

There's 49 other states out there we can exploit, not to mention US Territories. I haven't lived in California long enough to fully understand anything about this place, except that a California Roll is both a Sushi item AND when you slowly roll through a Stop Sign without coming to a full stop.