For State 1a, how often are CTScans after 3 yr mark?

Bette64

For those of you in Stage 1 or 1B and still in remission, how often does your oncologist schedule your CTscans or PETscans after you reach the THREE year mark?

I was diagnosed in May 2006, nsclc, Stage 1b. The tumor had invaded the visceral pleural lining of my lungs. I had CTscans every 3 months until the 2 yr mark. Yesterday I had my first 6 month Scan. I will have another one in July which will be past the 3 yr mark. Provided these scans are ok, my oncologist said he would schedule yearly scans after that.

While I'm praying my CTscan yesterday was fine and I'm elated to be able to go a year if the next scan is ok, it's a little scary to go a whole year without a checkup. For those of you who are still in Stage 1 or 1b and in remission after 3 years, how often does your oncologist recommend scans?

Thanks for any information.

Bette

Hi Bette

I have only been 1 1/2 years since my surgery but my Oncologist said scans will be every 3 months for the first 2 years and every 6 months for the next 3 years. Hoping for great results on your scan.

I had follow-ups every three months for the first two years, and then we went right to once a year.

For the first three of those annual visits, it was a CT scan.

Now, after five years of clear scans/tests, we are back to an annual chest x-ray with every visit.

It was a tremendous relief to me to be doing only annual visits. I get so anxious and panicky before my visit with my surgeon, that when this was going on every three months, I barely had a calm time.

Now, it's relegated to about a week or two before my visit that I get upset, so I'm good with the plan.

Cindy

Hi Cindy,

I'm happy to hear someone else has been able to go to yearly scans. It will be a relief to do that. Like you, the two weeks prior to the scan was very anxious for me. I just wanted to make sure my oncologist wasn't too 'secure' in my prognosis lol. It's scary to be turned loose for a year.

Congrats on your good reports.

Best wishes,

Bette

Hi Bette - I was stage 1A; however, I never did have an oncologist - just a surgeon. I was followed by CXR every 3 months for the first 2 years with a CT scan yearly. I have just moved to 6 month visits (CXR one visit and CT scan prior to the next visit).

I think my surgeon said that because of the type of lung cancer I had they didn't need to scan anymore than once per year so ... I guess my answer isn't much help at all!

Just wanted to let you know I will be waiting to hear the news of your most recent scan and praying all is well. Take care,

Hugs,

Linda

Congratulations, Bette! That's really great news! I remember that when I saw my surgeon at my two year mark, which was the day he moved me to the once a year schedule, he said that with the cancer I had, if it comes back at all, it usually reappears within 2 years. That made me feel really comfortable with the once a year visits. Not that I don't visit Panic City every year!

Congrats again and keep dancing!

Cindy