Question for Alimta Users, Past and Present

recce101

Did you receive a Neulasta injection the day after your Alimta infusions to boost your white blood cell numbers? If so, was it scheduled automatically from the outset, or was it added later because of WBC issues?

I'm starting Alimta next Tuesday, and my onc is willing to either give it automatically the next day or hold off on the injection unless/until needed, whichever I prefer. Back when I was on Taxol/Carbo/Avastin I got Neulasta automatically the day after each infusion, but I'd like to avoid those extra trips this time if I can. Any opinions or experiences to share?

Ned

Ned-

I was on Alimta for about 8 months and NEVER had a Neulasta shot and it was never even discussed that I might have to.

I found Alimta to be an easy chemo altho there is some fatigue and SOB associated with it. Several people on this board said it was hard on them and I admit the fatigue and SOB has an accumulative effect, but I found it quite doable.

Hoping for the best for you with this new chemo. Please keep us posted as to how it goes!!

Hugs - Patti B.

Ned,

When Mike was on Alimta he never needed any neulasta shots . Like Patti, he suffered from fatigue and SOB.. his SOB was extreme an actually went into pneumonitis. Increased shortness of breath is something you want to have checked out and be mindful of before it gets to that point. Hopefully, it won't be a problem for you . As for the WBC , Mike had no problems on Alimta. Lots of luck to you. Many have had good results with Alimta.

Hugs,

Sue

Hi Ned,

I thought I just posted under this topic, but I don't see it, so here it goes again!

I was on Alimta for four months back in the summer of 2007. I never had a neulasta shot and my blood counts were always good.

I was also fortunate that I never had any side effects such as sob or fatigue. I spent the summer keeping up with my kids and never missed a beat, except for the time spent for the infusion. I just wish that I could have stayed on it longer.

Wishing you success with your new treatment!

Tracy

Hi Ned,

After reading your post, I went into Bill's journal. He had kept one all through the treatments and recorded everything.

He began Alimta very shortly after having had Gemzar (which didn't work for him at all). The Gemcitabine (Gemzar) caused lowered red blood cell counts.

Bill was taking Procrit due to that, and had received a transfusion, as well.

When he began Alimta, I read where Bill received Procrit several times, but nothing ever for white blood cells.

In total, he received 14 infusions (almost a year). The only-ever side effect that he experienced was fatigue, which set in on or about third day following the infusion, and lasted from three to five days.

Bill became very used to that effect, and would lessen his activities during that span. He would also take a nap on those days.

Bill found Alimta to be a very easy chemo to endure and felt very well on it.

It worked beautifully for him. Wishing the same for you.

Hope this helps.

Barbara

I've been on alimta (in combo with other drugs) every 2 weeks since the end of May '08. The neulasta shot was scheduled automatically -- changed to neupogen when I switched from paraplatin/avastin/alimta to taxotere/avastin alimta.

My blood work has always been good so I can't say if the neulasta was necessary. As it it no big deal for me to get to my onc -- about 20 minutes away and my semi-retired husband is happy to drive me -- I don't mind going for the shot.

Good luck, Ned!

Linda

Ned, I never did Alimta but can understand wanting to eliminate any unnecessary travel. When I was getting neupogen automatically after taxol/carbo/avastin, it meant staying away from home an extra day and the expense that involved. You're really good at managing side effects, and I like the way Barbara's Bill handled it. If I were you, I'd try for the "as needed" the first infusion anyway.

Judy in Key West

Hi Ned,

I didn't receive automatic Neulasta shots after my Alimta (plus Eribtux) infusions and my counts were relatively good throughout. Note that I did have low counts with my first-lline platinum doublet that resulted in febrile neutropenia and a neulasta (or equivalent) shot after my final infusion.

What I did get with Alimta was a periodic B12 shot and daily folic acid.

Good luck with your new treatment.

Carole

Thanks for all the info — makes me comfortable with my inclination to skip the Neulasta unless a blood test indicates I really need it. If a few days of fatigue is my main side effect each cycle, I can plan around that.

I've been off the Tarceva (and Doxycycline) for 5 days and am basking in a bit of normalcy at the moment. Though my skin issues have been pretty much under control the past several months, there were a few "on the edge" spots that are now completely resolved. Even better, my sense of taste is back almost completely and there's no more heartburn and "what have you done?" feeling when food hits the stomach. We had barbecue ribs last night, and oh were they good! And to top it all off, my dear wife just now brought in my favorite local breakfast of eggs, rice, corned beef hash patties, and ketchup which I haven't been able to tolerate for a long, long time.

Well, you know my motto, "celebrate anytime you can," and that's what I'm doing this weekend. Alimta starts Tuesday.

Aloha,

Ned

It must be a relief to be rid of any skin issues.

Of course, getting rid of anything untoward related to eating has to be a major gift. Any form of that would put Bill "over the edge," for sure. Food is his mainstay - loves to eat.

Having that bacon, rice, eggs and ketchup was probably "a near apiritual" experience after all that time. :D

Good luck on the Alimta, Ned, I'm rooting for it to be as easy as it was for Bill. He took it from January 25, 2006 - December 12, 2006 - quite a run.

Barbara

Hi, Ned! As you know, I've been on Alimta and Avastin for a year now. I hope Alimta is as successful for you as it's been for me. I've never had a Neulasta shot. The couple of times that blood work was done in between treatments, white count was down but not hugely so. The bigger issue with Alimta is red counts, and it has been for me (thus, the shortness of breath and fatigue), but that was cumulative.

Best of luck!--Neil

Ned,

I elected not to automatically do Neulasta after my first Alimta on 12/29/08 and my absolute neutrophil count a week later was 900 so I capitulated and got the Neulasta with the second one. I would certainly give it a shot without. I've unfortunately had GERD and mild nausea and dysgeusia (bad taste in mouth) with the Alimta. I hope it's not a problem for you and you get to keep your recently recovered happy GI tract. I also just got over what appears to have been a respiratory virus that kept me in bed with temps over 102 for six days straight. First time in this whole process I've actually felt sick!

Anyway, good luck to both of us with the Alimta.