UPDATED 2/10! - Lung CT results and the next step

bunny

UPDATE:

Hey everyone. Thanks for the prayers and good wishes. So Suki is participating in a clinical trial where a drug called Dasatinib will be added to her regiment after she's been back on Tarceva for 4 weeks. Basically, the new drug, approved for treatment of other cancers, is being used to, hopefully, overcome the resistance most people (including my mother, based on blood and tissue test) build up after some time on Tarceva. The side effects of Tarceva will be harder on her than last time because her dose will be higher. The side effects of the Dasatinib, when added, are potentially more like those associated with traditional chemo, but still not (hopefully) as bad as we feared. Of course, there is a small chance of serious side-effects. So she starts Tarceva this week, gets a lung and brain scan on 3/10 and, assuming all is well, will start the 2nd drug that day. The trial is being done by her regular oncologist (Kris) and Dr. Miller at MSK. Here is a link to the trial, for those interested: http://www.mskcc.org/mskcc/html/2270.cfm?IRBNO=06-143

Suki is doing OK. She is tired and still has left-side weakness in her leg and a lot of mental fuzziness. We had been attributing these symptoms to the after-effects of the WBR, but when we met Dr. Miller on Friday, his fellow seemed to think it was more likely disease. Which is disappointing, because the whole point of the WBR was to shrink the lesions in her spine and brain to alleviate her symptoms.

Tough Girl Bunny had a very hard time after the appointment Friday, because I was so disturbed by something that happened. The doctors were discussing how difficult it is to treat leptominingial mets. Suki reacted to the news that there was cancer in cerebro-spinal fluid as if she were hearing it for the first time, even though we've been discussing it for months. It just seemed so cruel that she had to go through hearing bad news again and again like that. Also, I am feeling very overwhelmed by this power of attorney stuff. I can't stress enough how important catastrophic planning is. Suki hadn't done any, and I have no idea how we're going to keep her in her apartment longterm.

So that's where we are. Keeping the faith, enjoying each others company and putting one foot in front of the other.

Love to all.

Amie

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi all. Suki met with her medical onc. today to get the results of a lung scan done Monday and hear his recommendations for treatment now that she's finished whole brain radiation and radiation to her spine (14 concurrent treatments). Unfortunately, there is evidence of disease in a lymph node in her lung. We thought that was the worst news we could get but Dr. Kris said he's not "impressed", that it doesn't change how he wants to treat her. So she'll go back on Tarceva and may qualify for a Tarceva-based trial, as well, which would combine another drug or some other version of Tarceva. Initially she'll take 100mg a day. If that's unsuccessful and she's not in another protocol, they will load Tarceva. If that doesn't work, they will look into other chemos.

I have a lot more to say in general but that's the update and I have to get back to work.

Love to all of you.

Keep Suki in your prayers. She needs them.

Amie

Amie,

I'm sorry Suki's results were not better. It sounds like you have a great doctor on your side and a plan. I will be thinking of you all as Suki begins her treatment.

As always, you are in my prayers, as is your mom.

Love,

• 2 weeks later...