Praying Hard ....

photokakar

Steve, my stepdad is still in the hospital...he got 4 rediation treatiments to the new area on his spine where they saw another mass..(really...its isolated throughout his hips). He was fine when he went in except for pain, but now he is not eating, and very very weak. THey also see some inflammation in his lungs and said maybe the very beginning of pneumonia, but got him on antibiotics right away. His vitals are good, he got a transfusion for his low platelets and he is drinking well. I have been very optimistic until last night when I went to see him and he looked really bad. Very skinny, very weak and hardly talking. He is coherent when he is awake, but is on a lot of meds for pain until the radiation kicks in and stops the hip pain. We are hopeful that he will rally and get through the radiation and be pain free...but he looks so sick! It was so hard to see him that way, when just a week ago he was eating full meals and got the news of substantial shrinkage of the lung tumor. Its so hard how this disease can be so up and down all the time. So, now my mom is looking into her options if the radiation doesnt work and what she needs to do to keep him comfortable. I have been praying so hard that he can come through this. THe fever is gone, so we are hoping that the inflammation is under control. He has NO lung congestion either. The docs say that the inflammation could be from the radiation...but who knows. He is also on Tarceva right now, and that is making his mouth really sore and dry. We just want him to pull through...please pray for Steve. We need him to get better and get those next 5 radiations next week and be able to get up and come home!! Thank you all for your support and advice.

Jenn

Jenn, words can't express how sorry I am for all your step dad, mom and you are going through. I know how awful it is to see someone you love so thin and weakened. I don't have personal experience with radiation but know from reading here that it can knock some people for a loop but they can rebound. I hope your step dad recovers soon, and the fever leaving is a positive sign, so he can resume treatment. Sending many healing thoughts his way.

Judy in Key West

Hi Jenn,

I too am sending you and your family prayers.

I wanted to add also that I have had mouth irritation and dryness with tarceva. There are several products out there that miight help. Oasis and Biotene brands of mouth wash for dry mouth work good and Biotene has a toothpaste that works too.

Keep us posted,

Wendy

Thank you everyone for your kind word and prayers! We are still praying...I will be going there to visit him tomorrow and every night I just pray that the morning will bring any improvement....

This website has been so wonderful for me. I have kept my optimism by reading all the wonderful stories and advice...

Jenn