Introducing myself

GinaT

Hi Everyone,

My name is Gina and I have a friend with an advanced pancoast tumor. I have joined this forum for both support and for any information folks can provide about this particular type of lung cancer and its treatment. My friend is going to be relocating to DC with her daughter, so I am interested in information about resources and doctors in the DC area. Any suggestions from forum members would be much appreciated. It is obviously a scary time for her, and I want to help out in any way I can. Thank you.

Gina, let me be the first to welcome you. We have several members here who have had pancoast tumor. I'm sure they will be posting soon.

I'm a caregiver survivor and my husband had SCLC, so I don't have any answers for you, but I can tell you that you have come to a wonderful place. I'm sure you'll find, as I have, that the people here are caring and knowledgeable. No subject is off-limits here, so post questions, comments, rants, etc., as you need to.

Lynn

I started this "ever so much fun" journey in the DC area (northern VA). I know some people who have liked and some who have not liked the Georgetown cancer center. Johns Hopkins isn't too far for your friend, either. Kasey saw an Onc, etc. at NCI in Bethesda and had an amazing experience there. Everyone else seemed to have given up on her and NCI (or is it NIC?) took care of her.

My VA Onc. was Dr. David Dunning and my surgeon was Dr. Kiernan - both are outstanding and among the top 100 in the area.

I'm sure there are other good Onc. in DC also. Let us know where she goes/who she sees. Thanks

Muriel

Hi Gina!

Muriel is right. My pancoast tumor was a nasty one and all had given up on me. The National Cancer Institute (NCI) at the National Institutes of Health (NIH) performed 'magic' on me 4+ years ago. I have loads of info and contacts. PM me or have your friend join here and PM me and I can share all I have. DC is a hop, skip, and jump from there. Please contact me.

Kasey

Kasey sure should know who to go to on the east coast!

I also am a Pancoast tumor survivor, 11 yrs now! You can click to read my story below. This can be beaten. Will your friend have computer access. She could come here and talk to us survivors. Keep us posted.

Donna G