doctors in DC area

GinaT

Hi Everyone,

My name is Gina and I am new to the forum. I have a friend with a pancoast tumor and I am looking for some information that may be helpful to her. Her tumor was diagnosed in August and determined to be inoperable. Since that time she has been undergoing chemo and radiation. At first it appeared the chemo was working, but the last PET showed that is has actually spread. She is now awaiting an MRI to determine how far it's spread, but her daughter is planning to relocate her to DC for a second opinion and new treatments. Does anyone have any information on docs in the DC area? I have heard about Dr. David Schrump at NIH. Are there others we should consider? As you can imagine, this has been disappointing and scary news, and I am trying in any way possible to help them discern next steps and courses of treatment. Any suggestions you can provide would be most helpful. Thank you.

Hey Gina.......tell your friend to mention my name ~ he knows me as Kathleen ~ AND that you heard about him from me on the internet. He thinks it's hysterical that I found him that way. If you want, I'd be so glad to talk to your friend before she goes. Let me know. I'd be more than glad to give her a call. Also if she needs any info on NIH in general. It's overwhelming and maybe I can give her some heads-ups.

Kasey

Hi Kasey,

Thank you so much for the offer to speak with my friend. That is incredibly generous of you, and I will let her know. And I will tell her to let Dr. Schrump know that you recommended him. Last I spoke with them, I think the plan was for them to fly from Miami tomorrow to DC where her daughter, also a good friend of mine, lives. That may make for a busy day, so if they can't talk to you before the appointment, maybe they could follow up with you after. While I have had no previous involvement with lung cancer, my mom had ovarian cancer, from which she died two years ago. I found the support and advice of other families going through ovarian cancer invaluable. That's also how I discovered that people with cancer and those who love them are the best ones to consult about docs, treatment, etc. You're suggestions and offers of help have only affirmed that for me. :-)

• 1 month later...

Hi Kasey,

I hope this email finds you well. I just wanted to write with an update on my friend's mom. She did go to see Dr. Schrump at NIH, and he referred her to a surgeon at Hopkins named Dr. Wolensky. Apparently, given that her tumor had invaded her spine, Dr. Schrump thought Wolensky would be the guy to see. Turns out he was right, because after three back-to-back surgeries, Wolensky and his team were able to remove the entire tumor, something they were unsure they'd be able to do. My friend's mom is still in ICU at Hopkins, but it appears that she is recovering pretty well, although more slowly than they had hoped. I just can't thank you enough for your recommendation. Had my friend and her mom not gone to see Dr. Schrump, they never would have wound up at Hopkins, and her outlook would have been much different. Also, my friend said that Dr. Schrump was tremendous, and his staff was wonderful. They told him how they found out about him. Thank you again and take care of yourself. Regina

Thanks for the update, Gina!!! I have been wondering and wondering about your friend and her mom. I LOVE Dr. Schrump. If he asked me to walk through fire ~ I would ask him how long he wanted me to stay in it. One thing I've found on this journey of mine ~ the higher the skill, intelligence, integrity of the doctor ~ the LESS they are involved with big egos. Dr. Schrump is world-renowned and head of it all at NIH and is not at all intimidated by saying he needs to send you somewhere else. I've found too many that waste much time doing nothing for you rather than just simply saying they need to send you elsewhere.

I am thrilled with your good news. Tell your friend's mom not to worry about recuperation. She will have plenty of time to enjoy life after this side trip! Take her time and do it right.

Kasey