My Alimta Log - FINAL UPDATE 03/31/09

recce101

Ned -

Actually, both of my feet were swollen and I think thats why the doc thought it was a side effect from the Alimta. The left leg was worse and thats where the blood clot was.

My husband cut blocks of wood for me and put them under the wheels on the foot end of my bed. He kept putting more and more until I was elevated enough. It took a while to get used to sleeping like that but I do think it helped.

Keep us posted and I do know what you mean about those support hose - my friends kep teasing me to wear them with a pair of shorts - LOL!!!!

Hugs - patti B.

Thanks, Patti, that's interesting. But I don't understand how a blood clot in the left leg could cause swelling in both legs. You know what, I'll bet you had two things going on — swelling in both legs from the chemo, plus a blood clot that made the left leg worse!

Breaking news from the garage: Ned printing envelopes and listening to Meet the Press with both feet above the heart...and they said it couldn't be done!

ned-laser-elevate.jpg

Ned-

Now you need a pic of you like that in your shorts and the support hose on - LOL!!!

I do believe thats what was going on with me. The doc told me that Alimta is relatively new chemo and that with more and more people staying on it longer and longer that he did have a lot of complaints of feet swelling.

Good luck!!

Hugs - Patti B.

Ned,

A couple of years ago, I saw a very different kind of chair demonstrated on one of the shopping networks.

The fellow who was tauting the chair was a known exercise coach featuring it for all sorts of relaxation.

When the person wants to lie back, the back/headrest can be lowered where the legs can be very much above the heart.

Bill has made use of that chair almost every day since it arrived.

It was far-less expensive than regular lounge chairs, plus heating, vibration, and this wonderful varying positional feature - very stream-lined looking. It's built on a completely metal frame.

While in it, there is no problem watching TV, and if we had a laptop that would be possible, as well. The main idea is it enhances circulation.

Barbara

Thanks, Anne, and the best to you also!

This morning I thought I was about to do a Patti B routine, with a blood clot in one leg on top of general swelling in both legs [see updated log at the beginning of the thread]. So after calling the clinic I was told to drive immediately to the imaging center of the hospital near their building for a Doppler ultrasound, then come to the clinic. The exam was quite thorough, and after about 40 minutes the technician said "We're finished, you can go to your clinic now, and we'll fax over the report." I asked if she found anything interesting, and she said, "I'm not a doctor, so I can't give you a diagnosis," then after a pause added, "but I will tell you that if I'd found anything, I wouldn't have let you leave!" Good enough. The printed report arrived at the clinic shortly after I did, and it was negative for clots/DVT. The extra swelling, warmth, and tenderness in the left calf is said to be cellulitis, so I'll be on oral antibiotics for the next 10 days. A rather tiring day, but I was impressed with how well everything was handled.

Ned

Ned,

I am so glad to read your news about there being no clots, and that you are being followed up for the cellulitis.

Being proactive is key. You are doing a great job keeping up with this log.

So many times, in the past, there have been issues on regimens, or even unrelated to them, but that crop up on radar screen. It is so helpful to any of us who need to know and be aware.

Thanks, Ned.

Barbara

Ned -

So happy it was NOT a clot. And yes, they would not let me leave until they spoke to my doctor. Cellulitus sounds like a far better thing to have!!! Wonder if it was caused by the Alimta or not???

Continue good wishes coming your way. Keep us posted.

Hugs - Patti B.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Ned,

Stopped by to check on any update. Read the latest one about the addition of cisplatin to the Alimta regimen.

I think you are right, that if there are additional side effects, it would not be from the Alimta. Bill found Alimta to be the same as you have experienced - not too much in the "untoward" department. He was on Alimta (alone) for the better part of a year.

Glad the knee swelling has improved somewhat. Speaking of vascular - it's always good to check with that venue.

I have no swelling whatsoever in legs (albeit, no discernable pulse in ankles). Had them checked last week, along with the carotids and the triple AAA (abdominal aortic aneurysm). Some of these "things" come with absolutely no symptoms. At least, mine didn't. So, if there is any swelling, it's best to get official opinion from the vascular guy.

Ned, I am keeping you in good thoughts as to your chemo addition.

Bill will know next week if he will be receiving something "new." Of course, treatment of some sort will be in the offing - regardless of what kind is decided upon. Bill looks very well, and is still as sharp as a tack. Guess the WBR didn't kill off too many brain cells. It is coming up on 2 years since that regimen.

Wishing you much good luck,

Barbara

Ned, all in all, not an awful report but wished for you no new news or progression at all. Keep us posted on any side-effects from the new drug. Your records are such a resource for others in knowing what may/maynot happen.

Judy in Key West