Jump to content

I've used up one of my lives


Recommended Posts

but am home now after a long stint in the hospital. I don't think any of the docs are entirely clear what happened to me but I will try and explain.

I went in for the bone cement procedure on the morning of Jan 20. I had been feeling more progressively tired and in pain and was hopeful that the procedure would help with all that. Well the procedure itself was quite painful (because I am younger apparently and pounding through my bones was more difficult)and I was in more pain after it with sharp pains down my right leg. They did a scan while I was still there and the doc who did the procedure basically said that he was sorry but it didn't seem to have worked. I took a hard fall coming out of the bathroom after the procedure. I was supposed to stay overnight but they weren't doing much for me there and they said I could leave if I felt able. So with help to the car I went home.

The next few days were a bit of a blur. I was getting progressively more tired and unable to stay awake. After a few days of this my mom insisted I was going to the clinic. They did various tests at the clinic and found something very strange with my kidney counts/function. And my blood pressure was rock bottom. Before I knew it I was being wheeled over to the kidney unit at the hospital and being told by a kidney specialist that I was in very bad shape. And, that if my function didn't improve quickly I would need to be moved to ICU and be asked about recusitation orders, etc. I heard that...but the next few days were a bit of a fog. I couldn't even have told you what city I was in. They pumped various stuff into me and did every test in the book. Nobody knew why this was happening.

I mentioned my fall in the hospital a few days earlier and that I had pain in my chest but that was ignored for a few days. Until, major stuff started oozing out of my chest. Before I knew it, at 9 pm one night, a surgeon came in with his asst, and along with the nurse they performed surgery and lanced my chest right there and then. A major infection had developed. I was finally getting a bit more coherent and my kidney counts and my blood pressure were getting back up to normal. So they moved me out of the kidney wing and onto the cancer wing. I spent the next few days there getting antibiotics etc by IV. I was finally released late this past Mon. I think I was there over 10 days.

I am home now. My back pain is still as bad as it was. A home care nurse comes in to change my dressing. And I have lost more feeling in both legs and will be getting fitted for some orthotics on Friday (a dropped foot?). I can hardly get around the house but have good help as my mom winters here and comes to the house during the day.

So nobody knows exactly what caused what in the scheme of things. I think I was getting sick even before the bone cement procedure. And who knows if any of this was directly cancer related or not. The doctors are still baffled as well. My med onc said I definitely used up one of my lives.

But I am so glad to be home and am now just taking it one day at a time.

I hope everyone here is doing well.


Link to comment
Share on other sites


So glad you are home and hopefully feeling better. What a story that is - that qualifies for if it wasn't for bad luck you'd have no luck at all!!! :evil:

Seriously, I am glad your mom is there to help take care of you and PLEASE listen to the docs and do whatever they tell you to do!!!

Sending lots of healing thoughts and prayers your way.

Hugs - Patti B.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Oh Sandra, what an awful and scary experience. I'm so sorry that you had to go through all of that. I hope you get the pain problems solved soon - you've been miserable for far too long.

Thank you for posting. Many of us have been really, really worried about you. Please take it easy and follow your doctor's and mother's orders.


Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi Sandra.

Mon Dieu, what a nightmare! Glad the worst is over and you're back home again.

One suggestion: The pain down your leg and your falling sound like what I had after botched back surgery -- mine was from iatrogenic ('caused by a doctor') damage to the L4-L5 nerve root. When I was finally able to crawl out of the house with a walker, I spent 1.5 years in physical therapy, teaching the undamaged nerves to keep me upright in the functional absence of the screwed-up nerves. I still use a cane outdoors for stability but I haven't fallen more than 2-3 times a year in the past few years. (My back saga was in 2000.) Also, the intense pain gradually subsided and I was left with the plain ol' pain I had before surgery. :wink:

So be very very careful about falling and, if the leg pain doesn't subside within the month, demand physical therapy -- it really helped me.

Hang in there and try to be cheerful -- but do be careful. And good luck!


Link to comment
Share on other sites


What a scary experience. I hope your recovery continues and that you can find some relief from the pain. Those infections are very scary so I'm glad to hear that you've turned the corner on that. I will continue to keep you in my prayers for a full recovery.



Link to comment
Share on other sites


I have been looking for your update , but this is not how any of us , especially you , would have wanted things to go.. I'm am just so so sorry you have had to go through so much suffering for so long. I want you to know that you have my prayers and I hope to see a more positive update from you very soon. Take it easy and do what you are supposed to do.



Link to comment
Share on other sites


You have replied so often to my posts that I cannot count. I thank you so much for those replies. Your kindness has not gone without notice.

May you be without pain, restored to better health, and enjoying some peace and comfort.

I could not wish for anything better than to know that you are not in any discomfort.

Thankfully, you are home, and your mother there to help you. Being an older Mom, I send you many (((HUGS)))

and love,


Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.