Whats it like to have chemo and radiation together for 3 day

Guest cbysea1

Guest cbysea1

Hi ,

Can someone please share what they know about my next phase of my treatment?

I have had chemo for 3 days.3 weeks ago.I have just finished the first full 5 days of radiation.

Next Monday I will have the two together for 3 days.

Is that going to make me feel more sick? So far the chemo drives me nuts from the steroids (in the combination of chemo drugs) but not nauseous.

I know everyone is different, but I have heard some stories from other patients about how hard it is on some.

So far I have a bit of pain and discomfort but its tolerable with pain medication I take for another issue.

CHERYL,

I HAD CHEMO (CARBO + TAXOL) EVERY MONDAY (Caps—oops) and radiation everyday for 5+ weeks. The chemo was a reduced amount, given to boost the radiation. I guess it worked; I then had surgery. It was not all that bad. A little tiring, but not too awful. I had a very positive attitude which works. So, keep your chin up and go for it!!

JudyB

I had radiation and chemo on the same days and it just made me a bit more tired. I would have radiation in the morning and chemo in the afternoon and then I would come home and sleep till the next day. I can't stress enough that you need to DRINK lots of WATER before, during and after treatment. I always had a water bottle with me and drank well over 2 litres a day. I still had to get fluids twice during treatment. The more water you drink the easier it is on your system.

You are in my prayers.

God Bless,

MO

Cheryl -

Hi Lady!

Your first few rounds of radiation shouldn't do much beside make you a little more tired (might actually alleviate some pain if it's souced by the placement/weight of the tumor). Of course, plan on the worst and HOPE for the BEST. Make sure someone drives you until you know how it's going to affect you.

Both the chemo and the radiation have "culmulative" effects, and each subsequent round leaves you a little more drained, a little lower blood counts, and a little less resistence (stay away from public places as much as possible.) And drink plenty of fluids......

And we talked via email about "visual imagery" right? Mentally picture that radition blasting the crap out of the tumor..........

Hang in there - you'll do okay, (I wanted to say you'll do "fine", but there's no guarantee of that - but you're tough like me, and I know you'll be OKAY, even if you don't do fine!)

Hugs and prayers,

SandyS

I must agree with the others, drink as much water as you can. The more you drink the easier the chemo is. The radiation i could not tell i was even getting it ubtil the tenth treatment. It won't effect you other than make you a little more tired. I get my fourth round of chemo the week of christmas and they ( the docs.) insist that i get chemo in the morning and radiation in the afternon. Best of luck to you. Mike

I must agree with the others, drink as much water as you can. The more you drink the easier the chemo is. The radiation i could not tell i was even getting it ubtil the tenth treatment. It won't effect you other than make you a little more tired. I get my fourth round of chemo the week of christmas and they ( the docs.) insist that i get chemo in the morning and radiation in the afternon. Best of luck to you. Mike