Nodule

RBart

A 1.3 x 1.5 cm nodule has been found on my father's upper right lobe. After a pet scan, it has been determined the nodule should be removed and tested for cancer. If the nodule is cancerous then they will remove the right lobe and lymph nodes. Can anyone tell me what procedure is the best in this situation? I have looked at the VATS, Da Vinci Robotic and Cyberknife. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Welcome to this great site but sorry you had a reason to find us. Sounds like your Dad was very fortunate for it to be found so early. Mine was also discovered early enough for surgery. You did not mention if your dad had a PET scan done to determine if it was malignant or not. Mine was too small for a biopsy and the PET scan was inconclusive. In my case they did a wedge resection and removed the spot which was on the surface of the lung. They looked at it under a microscope in the operating room and determined that it looked suspicious. So they removed my upper left lobe by VATS. I was released from the hospital on the third day and flew 900 miles to my hometown. The following day I even dropped into my work to say hello to everyone. Within 2 weeks I was taking very little pain medication at all. Please keep us updated.

Hi there. I can't help you with your specific questions but am sure more folks will write. I wanted to welcome you to this site and wish you the best with whatever procedure is decided on. And I hope you keep us posted on what you decide and how you are doing. Take care

Sandra

Welcome to the place that no-one wishes they had to be - but since the need is there you couldn't find a nicer group of people who are warm, caring and very informative.

I, like Bruce a CT scan, PET scan and VATS surgery done by a very reputable surgeon who performed it. I was unable to have any type of diagnostic procedure done as my tumour was in the outer part of the lobe. A wedge was taken, looked over, and then the entire left lower lobe was removed. I was in hospital approximately 29 hours total (including surgery time) and then had a very slow (albeit bumpy) 2 hour ride home from the city. I was up quite quickly after surgery as I was told it helps recovery. I was off pain pills (took less than given) in about a week and managing to care for my family/house soon after surgery. I did tire easily and when I was tired ... I slept. I'm sorry I can't supply any information on the other procedures. I wish your dad and family all the best. Please keep us posted on what he decides and how things go.

Linda

Welcome - amazing you found the site so early - lots of experience around here.

We are not doctors, but I think most would agree that having an experienced surgeon with lots of lung cancer experience is key (not a general surgeon who does one lung surgery every now and then). It is great if the surgeon has plenty of VATS experience and offers that as a plan - the recovery seems much easier. However, as many have found, once they begin the surgery, the game plan may change depending on what is discovered. This is why you want someone with plenty of experience, that you feel comfortable with, and have the ability to trust and communicate with. You might want to look at Cancer Grace and see if Dr. West has more to add:

http://cancergrace.org/

Any other diagnostics being performed prior to surgery? That is a pretty small nodule - if that is all there is, very early detection!

Best wishes to you and your father. Plesae let us know how things go.

Hi, Bart, welcome to the group. As some of the others have said, VATS (aka thoracoscopy) would most likely be the first choice since it requires just 2 or 3 very small incisions and recovery from the surgery is relatively quick. But depending on what is found with the scope, it's possible the surgeon may need to proceed to a full thoracotomy, which involves a long incision and considerably more recovery time. That's what happened in my case, but honestly, I had a much easier time with recovery than I expected.

When is the surgery schduled? Best wishes and Aloha,

Ned

Welcome Bart. You came to the right place if you want input from a great group of people. Among them you will find at least a few whole cases resemble your father's. Like someone said, for more specific medical answers, you can log onto cancergrace.org and ask Dr West and his colleagues. The usually respond within 24 hours and there is not charge. A great, reliable, professional group of doctors.

Judy in Key West