Not Fun, But a Little Excitement...

Larry's Wife

My house was broken into today. Broke my bedroom window and left footprints all over my bed. Erg! I'm washing the bedclothes right now. Not much was taken. A rifle and (I think) a gold chain that I have owned since I was like 12. Sentimental, that one.

Turns out it was the brother of an "ex" friend of Nick's. Their dirtbike came up missing overnight. Long story about why they thought Nick stole it (past incident in his life). So they said they took something of Nick's of equal value so he would return the bike. Well, he didn't take the bike and we have recovered the rifle. They swear they didn't take the necklace. And the diamond pendant that was on the chain is still in my jewelry box. And so are the rest of my baubles. So who knows.

I decided not to call the police since we recovered the rifle. And I don't really want to ruin a young kid's future over what turned out to be a prank gone bad. But I'm out about $250 for a brand new window. They destroyed the frame, and since the house is old, they don't even make that type of window anymore.

It turned out to be a good lesson for Nick. He handled himself well with the kid when he recovered the rifle. And he's learning the hard lesson about the importance of picking quality friends and how past actions gain you a reputation, whether good or bad.

The rifle is now safely in the gun safe, where it should have been all along. And I need to rethink my alarm system. The big, mean-looking dog probably licked them to death. Stupid dog! :roll:

Dont be hatin on the Pupster Mocha does the same thing but scares Them with the bark behind the blinds!! Glad everything was recovered adn no one was hurt. Kudos to Nick for "Manning Up" to the situation and handling it so well!

No worries, Randy. I fed the dog his supper. :lol: I'll keep the dog and think about an electronic alarm system. LOL

Actually, Patti, Nick made it home before me. He was the one who discovered it. He was so upset, I actually didn't have time to get scared. I was busy calming him down.

The window is boarded up, the new window is on order, the bedclothes are washed. All that's left is to make the bed. And I'm sure I'll sleep well tonight. :)

Lynn, how scary! That's the kind of excitement you don't need. I assume you contacted the boy's parents. I remember telling you at lunch that you should have a big protective dog and you said you did. Maybe if the person breaking in didn't know the dog it would have helped.

Sorry you had to go through this.

Muriel

Yikes, what a bummer!! But at least it turned out kinda okay. Hope your enjoying your new windows. We desparately need windows and our is just plain popular ones. Maybe this will give us the incentive to get on the ball and just do it and get it done.

A couple of my unemployment checks should cover it, I hope.

I heard you can deduct your sales tax (not sure about the price of the windows). Hope that is right.

Maryanne

Funny how you step up when someone else (especially your kid) is freaking out. Sorry about all this Lynn. Wish you could have made the kids pay for the window though. Nick learned a lesson but where's the consequence to them?

Glad you're sleeping well. That's the important thing.

Judy in Key West

The window is on order and should be installed within 2 weeks, I hope. 8)

After I get the final bill, I'm going to go knock on a door. And while I'm there trying to collect, I'll ask about the necklace again. I don't have any measure of confidence that I will get either my money or my necklace, but I'll certainly receive not if I ask not. :lol: