My mom passed away

alyssa0323

The most devastating day of my life. My mom was doing so well. We thought she was going in the right direction. The week before last she had her second round of chemo on Wednesday. Thursday the 12th she went back to the doctor for fluids due to slight dehydration and she started to feel shortness of breath at this time.. Then on that Friday, she had a blood transfusion due to her low white blood count. She came on Friday the 13th after the blood work and took a dramatic turn for the worse. She couldn't get her breath and just felt like something was wrong. We took her to the ER and found out that she developed pneumonia. We were told that it was the type of pneumonia that was the easiest to get rid of... we believed that she was going to get through it. She was put on a breathing mask to help force air into her lungs and to help get rid of the CO2 that was buiding up. Long story shorter, she was not exhaling enough of the CO2 and her pneumonia was getting worse. The doctor told us that they would have to put her on a ventilator to help her get through the pneumonia since her body was not strong enough to fight it on her own, but the dr also said he was not sure she was strong enough to come off of it in the end. My mom told us a day earlier that she was tired and had enough. She said she just wanted to "go" and that she couldn't do it any longer. We tried to convince her that she was going to get better, but she said that she was not going to get better. My mom refused the ventilator and my family and I sat by her side for two days straight until she passed on Tuesday 2/17 at noon. I held her hand the entire time and never left her side.

I cant begin to explain the pain, the emptiness, the numbness that I feel. I want to thank all of you though for your kind words, concern, and help. I am glad that I found this site and I have tremendous respect for each and every one of you here. It takes an incredibly strong person to fight this disease and to keep a positive attitude through it all. I dont plan on visiting this site much more as it is just too painful of a reminder. Thank you and much love to everyone here. I shared many of your stories and thoughts with my mom throughout her short battle with this awful awful disease. God bless each and every one of you. You were a God Send to me.

((((Alyssa))))

My heart just aches for you right now. I am so saddened to read this update and I am so very, very sorry for your loss.

I can understand your apprehension about visiting this site but please know that you are more than welcome here and we will do our best to help you through this horrible pain.

My sincerest condolences to you and your family,

Christine

PS.. please keep in touch. I will send you a PM with my private emial address...

Alyssa, my sincere condolences to you and your family at this tragic end to your mother's battle. You did the right thing honoring her wishes. Only the person suffering knows when enough is enough. I admire your strength and fortitude in staying by her side to help her face the end. I am absolutely sure your being there was a tremendous comfort.

Come back and visit or seek confort or not. Whatever you need is o.k.

Judy in Key West

Hi Alyssa. My heart goes out to you and your family at this most difficult time. It all happened to fast and you had such a tough go of it. You may need a break from this site now but maybe later you will come back and reach out to others here who have experienced similar. There are many here who will support you. My sincere condolences.

Sandra

My thoughts and Prayers and Condolences for You and the Family right now. If you need us we are here to help in any way we can even just to listen on a bad day.....

(((((Alyssa)))))

I am so, so terribly sorry to hear about your mom's passing. Your love for her was so obvious in all of your posts.

I can understand that right now it might be difficult to come back here, but maybe later you can to help those who are just starting this journey. You ARE a part of our family and we will do whatever we can to help you through this difficult time.

I wish you strength and peace in the difficult days ahead.

Hugs - Patti B.

(((Alyssa))),

You sat by your Mom's side, held her hand, and never left her side.

That would be my wish when I leave this earth, and you, my dear, are a wonderful daughter.

God bless you for all your love which you gave to your Mom.

Speaking as a very old Mom,

Barbara

I feel your pain my sister. I lost my Mom on the 8th I feel like a lost puppy. Even though we both know that our Mom's are in a better place and feel peace and joy and they aren't feeling anything bad at all just happy, even though I know that I am sooooo sad. I miss my Momma too. But they are worth every tear we shed.

Thats the only word I can describe how it feels. Everyone is asking me if I'm okay, how do I feel... I feel numb and disbelief. And I guess Mad. Mad that she wasn't given the opportunity to fight this cancer and mad that she was taken away from me and my family so quickly. Helpless, hopeless.... the list goes on and on... :0(

25 1/2 years ago for me. I still miss my Mom. Wonder what she would say to all this? Disbelief mostly...

Recall the best of days, let go of the anger, and enjoy your life as much as possible. Living well is a good way to honor what she would want for you.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Im so sorry Barb! My mom has only been gone for three months and its not getting any easier for me. She wasn't lucky enough to be able to fight this awful disease and wasn't given the time to. It was the most horrendous thing I've ever seen anyone go through. Still so angry and upset. :cry:

I lost my Mom when she was 92! So i feel your pain. Losing a Mother is So hard! Its been 6 yrs & I need her still. Now I am without my parents & husband of 46 yrs. Its as tho your heart is pulled out.In time your pain will lessen tho be with you forever.