Clinical Trial CI-1033 for NSCLC

BibiGirl

This looks like a very interesting trial. There are four epidermal growth factors. They are named erbb-1, erbb-2, erbb-3, erbb-4. They are also called HER1, HER2, HER3, HER4.

Iressa blocks only 1 (erbb-1), Tarceva blocks (targets) the same one as Iressa. Herceptin blocks another one (HER2).

The drug you are taking blocks all FOUR!!!

There is a theory that when a drug targets one pathway that cancer finds another pathway through which to grow. By blocking all four growth factors this may work much better.

I hope it does very well for you and maybe will be one of the drugs that shows real promise.

CI-1033, an irreversible pan-erbB receptor inhibitor and its potential application for the treatment of breast cancer.

Allen LF, Eiseman IA, Fry DW, Lenehan PF.

Department of Clinical Development, Ann Arbor Laboratories, Ann Arbor, MI 48105, USA.

The erbB family of cell surface receptor proteins consists of four members, all of which play a role in the development and growth of the normal breast. The activity of this signaling pathway is normally tightly controlled, and dysregulation has been shown to play a significant role in the pathogenesis and progression of breast and other cancers. The potent transforming potential of these receptors is further enhanced by the coexpression of multiple members of this receptor family, which worsens prognosis. Therapeutic blockade of erbB-2 receptor signaling has to date been shown to be effective in only a subset of chemotherapy-resistant breast cancer patients. CI-1033 is a highly potent and selective pan-erbB inhibitor that efficiently blocks signal transduction through all four members of the erbB receptor family. In addition, it covalently binds to these receptors, irreversibility inhibiting them, and thereby provides for prolonged suppression of erbB receptor-mediated signaling. Clinically, it has been shown to have an acceptable side effect profile at potentially therapeutic doses and schedules. Biomarker studies have shown target inhibition in patients, and evidence of antitumor activity has also been observed in phase I studies. Given the broad expression pattern of the erbB family of receptors in solid tumors, and the important proliferative effect of co-expression of multiple erbB receptors, CI-1033, as an irreversible, pan-erbB inhibitor, has the potential to have an important role in the future treatment of breast and other cancers.

Thank-you John for a very interesting response, though I am Not yet taking this drug CI-1033. I must first have a core biopsy done on the lymph node on my neck & hope it contains the receptors they are looking for, by the way, do you have any idead what a core biopsy feels like done on the neck, I have only had a FNAB done, its was'nt so bad.

Also I am wondering if I could ask you where is it that you find this informative information, this certainingsounds like you know so much more than I could ever find out.

Thanks again John !

BibiGirl

I first did a search for CI-1033 on google. I also am registered with pubmed it contains peer-reviewed medical journals.

My mom was diagnosed over a year ago so I have learned a lot about cancer. The Erb or epidermal growth factors have been a target for a few years now I think.

One thing that is interesting is that Iressa targets ErbB-1, but those who respond to Iressa do not always express the ErbB-1 receptors.

This is contradictory to what one would expect.

So hopefully the trials does work for you and you fit the protocol.

I have no idea what a core biopsy feels like. I imagine it shouldn't be too bad.

From what I have read they do not quite know how all the cell communication works. If you do a search on Iressa, Tarceva, epidermal growth factor, etc. you can find more information