What should I expect?

I just found out last week my 82 year old Pop-Pop has stage IV NSCLC adenocarcinoma of the lungs.

He smoked many years ago, was a dentist for almost 60 years and was in the Navy and worked on the boats, so I sure all of those toxins had something to do with his condition. He has tumors throughout both of his lungs. Right now he still has pneumonia, so he is not able to start his chemo pill (Tarceva.) Surgery is not an option due to a blood disorder he has. I went to go visit him this past weekend and he looks like a skeleton.

I have been absolutely devastated since I got the news last week.

He went in the hospital a few weeks ago with his second bought of pneumonia in 3 months. They found the cancer this time.

What should I expect with this type of cancer? I know every cancer is different, but a general prognosis on this type of cancer would be greatly appreciated!! Thank you!

Welcome to this site!!! There are lots of caring, supportive people here who are willing to try to help through this journey.

I am so sorry to hear about your Pop-pop's diagnosis. Hopefully once he comes home from the hospital and the pneumonia has resolved, he will start to feel better and gain some weight back. Pneumonia is so hard on ones body.

As far as a prognosis goes - noone can tell you the answer to that. And please, DON"T listen to statistics. Your Pop-pop is NOT a statistic, he is an individual. Many of us were told we wouldn't make it past a certain point and we have continued to survive despite what we were told. I was told 12 months tops and this weekend is my 29 month mark!!

Please continue to post here - with questions or just to vent. And please keep us posted as to how both you and your Pop-pop are doing.

Hugs - Patti B.

Hi there. I am so sorry to hear about your pop pop but welcome to this site full of many caring people who are very knowledgable about lc. Stage 4 LC is not great for sure but as Patti says nobody is a statistic. Most importantly, there is always HOPE and it is that hope that gets us in a fighting mood. You are going through the most scary part of the diagnosis. Once your pop pop gets out of the hospital and regains his strength, he will be able to start tarceva. There are many here who have been on tarceva for a long time and it has kept the cancer at bay. So lots of prayers for a speedy recovery from his hospital stay and success with Tarceva. Please ask any questions you have and keep us posted on how you and pop pop are doing.

Sandra

Thanks guys for the sweet and quick responses. He is actually at home, getting better (from the pneumonia) and just needs to see his Doctor so he can give him the go ahead with the Chemo pill. My Pop-Pop is one tough cookie, so I am praying that he can physically handle all of this. Up until 3 years ago, he was either the oldest or one of the oldest practicing dentists in NJ and still is an avid gold player. So he is not your typical 82 year old Pop-Pop. I think that is what is making this so hard to comprehend. I am the oldest grandchild (30) so right now, I am just making sure I remain positive for everyone :lol:

Hi — cute photo!

Since your pop-pop has been in a medical field all these years, he undoubtedly knows this, but sometimes we overlook the obvious for ourselves. The cancer has probably changed his various proteins and metabolism to the point that he needs more calories than before to maintain weight. So he probably needs to supplement as much of his regular healthy diet as he can handle with more high-calorie stuff. Like Ensure Plus (the 350 calorie form), the less expensive WalMart clone, and more tasty beverages like Carnation Instant Breakfast mix stirred into milk or a soy beverage. Ice cream too!

When he gets ready to start Tarceva, be sure he's keeping his skin in good condition by showering with a non-drying soap (such as Dove Body Wash Sensitive Skin) followed up by a moisturizing lotion (such as Cetaphil or the unscented/hypoallergenic version of Vaseline Intensive Rescue). This will reduce some of the discomfort from the infamous Tarceva rash which starts about a week into the treatment. Plenty more tips on Tarceva side effects here:

http://cancergrace.org/lung/2008/10/22/wird-egfr-rash/

http://cancergrace.org/forums/index.php ... 04#msg2904

http://cancergrace.org/forums/index.php ... 70#msg3170

Best wishes and Aloha,

Ned

Prognosis is a range and then they come up with an average...but that is made up of MANY different outcomes. So it is impossible to say.

Right now, the most important thing to get past is the pneumonia. And then #2 would be to start with the basics that Ned brought up...and they are EXCELLENT advice.

Finally, I always advise someone in the family to go to appointment with the patient, there is always a lot of overwhelming info and it sometimes takes days to sort through and straighten out.

Good luck and when you need support/advice/answers many here have it or can point you in the right direction!

Thanks Ned & Nick for your advice. My Mom-Mom passed away 20 years ago when I was 10, and my Pop-Pop remarried. I know she is at least 12 years younger than my Pop-Pop, so the positive thing, is that his wife is in excellent health and is able to provide full support and care for him. I live about an hour away, but I am going to make it a point to visit as much as I can. I will let his wife know about your great advice!! Thanks again!

my advice is Stay hydrated and drink plenty of water. Nothing worse than a weekend in the hospital getting IV fluids for dehydration!!!

Keep us posted! Prayers for Quick Pneumonia recovery and long success with Tarceva!!

Also the cancer grace Links Ned gave you are for Cancer grace .org. That site is for our Licensed Oncologist Dr West at Swedish Institute in Seattle Washington. HE helps with all our medical questions re: Oncology questions. Many of our members belong to his site as well and it is also free to register and Use!!!

Hi Again-

What an adorable pic of you and your pop-pop!!! He is sure a young looking 82 which hopefully will do him well in this fight.

Ned gave you some links for Tarceva - make sure you read them - Tarceva does come with some side effects, i.e., skin problems, diarhea, etc. but is has been a god-send to many on this site.

Once again, keep us posted!!

Hugs - Patti B.

I love your photo too - I had a Pop Pop and I know how special they are!

Everyone has given you excellent advice. Be sure to have your Pop Pop read all the Tarceva advice Ned gave you - it is very helpful. In the meantime - I will keep you both in my prayers.

Peace - Janet

Welcome to the group. You've already seen what a great bunch of people are on this site. As far as I'm concerned, Ned has the real skinny on maintaining weight and Tarceva side effects which are probably the main issues your pop pop needs to address most immediately. Ned isn't recommending anything that has not already worked for him so it's all worth trying. Keep us posted. We want to keep up-to-date on how your pop pop is doing.

Judy in Key West

Welcome to the group!

I, too, love the picture of you and your Pop-Pop. He certainly doesn't look or sound like your typical 82 year old and it is great that he is surrounded by so many who love him to help him.

I can't add anything to all the wonderful advice you have received so far. Please keep us posted on your Pop-Pop.

Linda